Divided Chicken Coop?

chicken head34

Songster
9 Years
May 29, 2010
middleburg
Hi, my chickys are running out of room so we where gonna make a new coop, the chicken where gonna put in it is silkies and my phoenix pair. we want the coop to be ONE coop but to be seperated in half so each breed is seperate.......does anyone have a coop like that? i would really like to see some pics and get ideas!
smile.png
i tryed to look for this type of coop in the coop designs but couldnt fine one:/ thanx!
smile.png

I built one like that a while back. Will have to get pics. It's like 16 ft long by 6 ft deep. It has two human doors on the front and two pop doors on the rear. I just divided it down the middle with chicken wire inside, so that at some point I needed one large coop all I have to do is take the wire down. I have just had to move it and now is partly against the back of a barn, so I just cut another pop hole in the front of one side. I use one side as my grow out pen and have my tolbunt polish on the other side for now.

my coop is divided by three
64891_dscf1638.jpg

u can see if u look closely
i can expand my coop easily
basically pulling down a wall and improvising
i reckon my desighn is good but the roof needs to overlap and i can lay shade cloth on the netting on top
plus it needs raising

Sorry that I don't have pictures, but, I'll try to explain my set up. I have a 12' x 20' shed divided down the middle, so each side is 6' wide. On the lefthand side you open a door to a storage room that is 4' x 6'. Walking in the righthand door, you enter a room that is 6' x 12'. If you look to your left, you see a 4' long blank wall (storage on the other side of the wall). The next thing you see on the left are 2 - 4' x 6' rooms. Beyond the room you are in, is a 6' x 8' room straight ahead and 2 more 4' x 6' rooms on the left. I put the plan on paper and made sure that all the doors to my rooms could be swung open at the same time. Each of the rooms has a pop door to runs on the outside. The rooms are built with a mix of plywood and chickenwire so all birds can see each other.
Now the fun part. I can leave everything wide open, which is what I am currently doing for winter. For breeding season, I have 4 - 4' x 6' rooms for 1 roo and 5 hens each. 1 - 6' x 8' room big enough for 2 roos and 10 hens and then the "big" room for 18 layers. Or pretty much any combination I want, leaving some doors open and others closed.
I hope I was clear...
Dale-Ann

Last edited:
18 x 20 converted hog farrowing building. Wire wall down the middle with a 9x9 nesting room on one end of each side. Works great! I can use one side for a grow out area, and just open the wire door in the middle when everybody is ready to integrate. I have 54 hens and 2 ducks. 100 new chicks to arrive end of the month.

I also have a separate converted hog feeder bin 8x8 that I use for meatbirds in summer. Funny thing how the number of birds tends to creep up on a body.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30790317&l=5a1573b15c&id=1630812373 This is the nosey hen helping with the painting of the floor in the "big house". She is called "Greenie" now.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1974&id=1675942885&l=1f929dbbd8 These are a few of my work-in-progress pics.

It all looks much better now of course. I need to get some "after" pics.

Last edited:
I have made my horses stalls into coops and they were already divided. You were probably thinking a lot smaller size than this but here are two coops side by side.
Right now one is a duck coop with one rooster living with them and the other side is my free range flock of about 50 birds.
9332_open_air_coops.jpg

9332_end_of_barn.jpg

9332_coops_n_chickens_001.jpg

9332_front_facing_coops.jpg

9332_2_coops.jpg

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Nadine,
frow.gif
thats kinda like the coop we where thinkin about building!
smile.png
just a little bit smaller lol thanx everyone for the pics and the descriptions of the coop! they all look/ sound wonderful!
thumbsup.gif
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom