Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Colbert, WA
First of all this is my first time incubating/hatching eggs
big_smile.png

I know that I am going to end up asking lots of questions
frow.gif
So I just wanted to say thank you in advance!!!

I just bought a Little Giant still air incubator with auto turner. I completely forgot to pickup the fan kit, will get it tomorrow. I was also thinking about getting a digital thermometer that shows the humidity.

I would love it if some of my fellow BYC peeps would join me in this hatching adventure!

Here is what I know so far: Please correct me if I am wrong!!

Temp: 99.5
Humidity: 40%
Candle eggs at day 10 to check for development.

Comments and Advice: Wanted and WELCOME
ya.gif

Planning on setting eggs tomorrow 2/18 so the hatch date would be 3/10.

Here are some pics for your enjoyment
wee.gif

New in the box!!
50287_dscn5688.jpg

This is my EE Roo (Mr. Cain) he is about a year old. Super sweet guy, and gentle with the hens (no missing feathers at all)
50287_dscn5705.jpg

Big Bertha, standard Cochin Splash. I can't wait to see what their babies look like!
50287_dscn5702.jpg

One of the buff orphington (sp?) hens, have 3.
50287_dscn5699.jpg

Close up of Mr. Cain
50287_dscn5708.jpg

Ill join you, but this is my first hatch too, so all I know I learned on this site! I have 21 bearded silkie eggs I set last friday, due March 5, I only see 6 so far developing
hu.gif
oh well, they were shipped eggs, and I was hoping 10 would hatch. Good luck with your adventure, love the pics of your cute chickens! btw, I started candling at day 4, stuck a hi power mini mag lite on top of the eggs in the bator, worked great.

Yay!! Glad to have you on board. Since we are both new we can have issues together
lau.gif
Candling at day 4
big_smile.png
that sounds great to me. I was wondering how I was going to last 10 days without checking
hide.gif

I have a feeling that my hatch rate won't be that great being new to this also.

What kind of incubator are you using?

Last edited:
I put some eggs in on tuesday.A few of mine and some from some chickens I take care of some times when the owner has to go out of town.

Ok so I have the incubator turned on, with the turner inside (I figured that it might change the temp if added later) and have been holding steady at about 98.7. I will try turning it up a LITTLE bit.

Question: once I put the eggs in will I have to mess with the temp again? Also how much water do I put in the bottom, the directions were not very specific?

I am with you!

We have the same incubator and I have an Easter Egger Rooster who looks a lot like yours - gorgeous fellows, aren't they? I bought my eggs on Ebay, 13 French Black Copper Marans, and I am throwing in a few Easter Eggers. I hope at least a few hatch from the Ebay purchase, as they are expensive eggs! But, if they don't, it will still be very exciting! Do you have a candler? I am going to buy one, I made one to use last year and it was impossible!
By the way, thanks for calculating the hatch date!

jumpy.gif

Quote:
Yay!! Same incubator and we both have EE Roos, it was meant to be
lol.png
No I dont have a candler, I have been debating on making one or buying one. Where are you planning on buying yours from? I have seen them online for about $10 but haven't been able to find one locally...

I am so very jealous of the FBCM eggs!! I figure I will wait to buy eggs until I have a successful hatch. But next time around you can bet I will be buying some of those pretty eggs. I actually bought 2 FBCM pullets locally, sadly one died of sour crop, and the other was killed by my very very bad puppy
hit.gif
she had just started laying, and her eggs were beautiful!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom