Please me. Is this a breed?

Does the copper development differ depending upon the gender of the chick?
In mine yes. My 5 week old pullets just started showing copper last week. I could pick out my boys within 2 weeks with comb development. By the next week copper was appearing in chest and hackles.
I just took these of one of the pullets. 5.5 weeks old.
IMG_20240515_170627.jpg
IMG_20240515_170811.jpg

In mine yes. My 5 week old pullets just started showing copper last week. I could pick out my boys within 2 weeks with comb development. By the next week copper was appearing in chest and hackles.
I just took these of one of the pullets. 5.5 weeks old.
View attachment 3833071View attachment 3833070
Omg, I saw some red on Gypsy's back last night, but I didn't think it was copper feather. I thought that maybe she was hurt or something.
Gotta go look again.

Omg, I saw some red on Gypsy's back last night, but I didn't think it was copper feather. I thought that maybe she was hurt or something.
Gotta go look again.
If it's just on the feather ends, it should molt out. I see them on mine also. I believe (don't quote me on this) it's called mossy feathering.

Hello all.

I am new here and also new to chicken. I went to my feed store about 2 months ago and they had those chicks in a bin. The bin c ok clearly stated black copper maran pullet.

Well, I took this one home because she was black and she had feathered feet with almost no comb. But over the past week or so, the comb became black and her beak is also all black.

I don't know what to make of this. I really wanted BCM so bad I paid $20 for it.

She also started to turn into dark grey instead of the deep black and she has some white wing feathers and 4 fingers.

Does anyone know what kind of chicken this is? Is she even a pullet? Should I rehome and get a BCM?

Please help.
That looks like an ayam cemani mix to me. I have one, and the pictures look just like her baby photos.
Edited to say she is beautiful and you should totally keep her.

Thank you for the reply.

From the info I gathered, the chicks sold at this feed store in Sacramento are From a farm lady in the area who breeds chicken.
She also had some ayam cemani she was selling for $30 straight run, in another bin.
So, I am sure this chicken has some Ayam Cemani in her since her legs, eyes, beak and comb is all black. Her tongue is not black though.

Could she be a mix I am Cemani with a blue copper maran or cuckoo maran? I am not sure of the genetics if it is possible. But that could account for the feathered feet? Maybe.

I can only have 12 chickens and I am at 12. I think I will keep her as she is different and probably will look cute as grown up. She is very Mellow and friendly.

I really want a pair of BCM boy and girl and this seems very hard. I might have to rehome my 2 red sexlinks I bought by mistake ina bin at TSC( I thought they were RIR), if I can get a pair of good BCM.

BTW , I am not seeing any traits of silkie in her. But I just started with chicken and don't know much.
I think you're on to something...

I'm still going by my original post and saying she's a mix. Not trying to dash all your hopes and dreams and by no means a genetics wizard, but it seems too coincidental that it could be a Gypsy Marans (or whatever their called) and the breeder has AC's also.
I do appreciate the link to that Gypsy thread, tho. This is new to me and very interesting.

Again, no expert by any means and maybe I'm wrong....
She is very pretty and I would keep her also, if anything you may find out when she starts laying. ACs lay cream colored eggs.

I'm still going by my original post and saying she's a mix. Not trying to dash all your hopes and dreams and by no means a genetics wizard, but it seems too coincidental that it could be a Gypsy Marans (or whatever their called) and the breeder has AC's also.
I do appreciate the link to that Gypsy thread, tho. This is new to me and very interesting.

Again, no expert by any means and maybe I'm wrong....
She is very pretty and I would keep her also, if anything you may find out when she starts laying. ACs lay cream colored eggs.

The plot thickens.. Hummm she COULD be a Cemani mix . Hopefully it's a mix with a Maran. Or she can be a gypsy maran. She does look like the beautiful girl in the thread.

If she is Cemani and Maram mix, what color egg could she possibly lay?

The plot thickens.. Hummm she COULD be a Cemani mix . Hopefully it's a mix with a Maran. Or she can be a gypsy maran. She does look like the beautiful girl in the thread.

If she is Cemani and Maram mix, what color egg could she possibly lay?
That depends on what color egg the Marans contributed. More than likely (hopefully) it should be darker than the cream color the AC hatched from or laid. But if the Marans contribution is a #4 or less you could get the same or lighter egg color.

Just a suggestion... Can you contact the breeder? I would try to show them pics and solve all this.

That depends on what color egg the Marans contributed. More than likely (hopefully) it should be darker than the cream color the AC hatched from or laid. But if the Marans contribution is a #4 or less you could get the same or lighter egg color.

Just a suggestion... Can you contact the breeder? I would try to show them pics and solve all this.
I have been trying to find her but she doesn't have any social media. No email, no phone number. Her flyer just said dragonfly farm.

Attachments

• 20240417_161942.jpg
    20240417_161942.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom