What did you do in the garden today?

My DH gets ticked about my egg shell, coffee ground & banana peel saving, but I get more ticked if he tosses it in the trash! I found a place to set them so he doesn't notice them now. Why is he not on board with practical recycling & repurposing? 🤔

Ah...he's a good guy, he just gets upset with clutter on the counter...I get it.
Same here, but… he doesn’t even like plants or animals, so feels it is a waste of time and resources to spend time and money for them 😬

What is that?

These things:

Aqua-Plant-Watering-Globes-Automatic-Self-Watering-Plant-Herbs-Flower-More-Bulbs-4pc-Large-4pc-Small-e51abb7e-4f23-4e29-a8db-146d575adcf0_600.jpg

You fill them with water and shove the pointy end into the pot, and the dirt leeches the water out of the bulb as the dirt dries. There are a couple other types - I have seen (but not tried myself) a kind that’s a ceramic stake that you screw a water bottle onto, and for big gardens I’ve heard of burying a clay pot and filling it with water to make a watering olla.

These things:

Aqua-Plant-Watering-Globes-Automatic-Self-Watering-Plant-Herbs-Flower-More-Bulbs-4pc-Large-4pc-Small-e51abb7e-4f23-4e29-a8db-146d575adcf0_600.jpg

You fill them with water and shove the pointy end into the pot, and the dirt leeches the water out of the bulb as the dirt dries. There are a couple other types - I have seen (but not tried myself) a kind that’s a ceramic stake that you screw a water bottle onto, and for big gardens I’ve heard of burying a clay pot and filling it with water to make a watering olla.
I am using the clay pots in my raised beds. So far I love how they are working. Will look for the glass bulbs to try in the flower pots.

Attachments

• 20240424_142243.jpg
    20240424_142243.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 6
Today I’m focusing on getting the grow out coop ready for the “littles.” Although they are supposed to be only 4 weeks old they are really big and finally at the pig stage. I turned the brooder plate off because they only use it to roost on. They have all their feathers so they will be fine outside. I walked up the slope yesterday morning and the pear tree looks great and my 3 grapevines are getting ready to unfurl their leaves. The leaf buds look like blossoms right now.

IMG_6697.jpeg

IMG_6694.jpeg

Yesterday I worked in the fruit trees a little more. The Asian pear trees are hard bc the wood want to split. I bought some limb spreaders, and am using those, along with pulling some limbs down with padded wire. The Asian pear that produced one fruit last year looks great this year, but it has never been shaped very well- it was problematic from the get-go. So, trying to correct it now. I hope nothing will split from the work I did yesterday.

We received about 1.2” of rain yesterday (early morning). So garden was happy with that. More rain Friday.

Weather looks great through Mother’s Day (temps staying in low 50s or higher at night). It’s tempting to really jump ahead with the garden. But, we’ve seen freeze occur as late as May 22. Plus, the farmer behind us sprays herbicide and hasn’t gone it yet. Should be corn behind us this year, which means there will be fungicide sprayed mid season, on top of strong herbicide (like round up), so I try to hold off on planting too much until firlds are sprayed and planted.

Same here, but… he doesn’t even like plants or animals, so feels it is a waste of time and resources to spend time and money for them 😬
Mine hasn't said so much, but at times I think he'd prefer I was not into animals. I know he'd rather see me cooking instead of tending to critters & yard. Oh well, I like what I like. He knew it all from the get-go, I'm very up front about my reality, flaws & all. No surprises. The only time in my life I was critterless or plantless was in college & I hated it & remedied that fast. I don't even have any desire to leave home & do not miss my previous career where I traveled a lot. If I can't hug, feed or interact with someone feathered or furry on a daily basis, I get majorly depressed. Any prospective mate of mine always knew from the start...They're my family & they're here to stay.

Back
Top Bottom