Anybody tried wrapping their roost bars in rope?

kerbotx

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 29, 2016
Northeast Texas
I fell down a rabbit hole this morning researching some issue, and eventually found my way to a YouTube video for Carolina Coops. Fancy coop builders, they are! One of the coop accessories they provide is a roost bar wrapped in hemp rope - said to promote air flow around the foot, which might help improve bumblefoot treatment. Here's a link to their website: https://carolinacoops.com/product/rope-wrapped-roost-bar/ Now, they actually sell these roosting bars, but the shipping is as much as the bar, so I thought maybe I could DIY... Think it would be worth a try? And more importantly, 1/4" or 3/8"? ;)

I put them in my coop, but my flock just moved in this week, so I don’t have much to say other than I like the look and the concept. I plan on taking them out and hosing them down if they get too dirty.
The chickens seem quite happy roosting on them at night though!

If you are concerned with bumble foot it is really a matter of Big heavy non flighted breeds vs roost height. I raise mostly flighted breeds so my 5 foot high roosts are a non problem. My silkies were a bad idea that will not die out naturally, and need to be motivated to get up on a roost so stay on the ground. Were I raising Bhrama and they wanted to roost I would give them a 2 stage 12 and 24 inch high roost option and figure out which works for them and make sure they aren't hopping off into sharp rocks or hard woodchips. .

There isn't a single solution for all breeds, but being able to muck off out under and around the roosts that is a primary concern. I did get a mite infestation this spring in my third year of keeping and a serious 1x treatment(permethrin per label) of the premises and a few of the flock cured it. Somehow even the cats got those red mites. Topical topspot did those in using selamectin.

Last edited:
I installed a couple of roosting bars in our coop a couple weeks ago. One I wrapped with rope, and the other I left bare. So far, the girls have completely ignored the new roosting bars. So I don't know which they prefer. Any tips on how to get the chickens to roost where you want them to roost would be greatly appreciated (point me to a thread?)! Haha!!

Video below shows how I did it.

Back
Top Bottom