How to build a latch or lock on my run door that opens from both sides?

CurvyCoop

Songster
Feb 11, 2022
Groningen, the Netherlands
I'm in the middle of my first coop build. It's honestly going very well and I'm pretty proud of myself, because I've never done anything like this before. I initially planned to just have a simple latch om my run door on the outside, but I just read 3 coop build articles in a row of people who got locked in their run 😆 So I think I should probably plan for one that opens from both sides. I am 100% someone who would get stuck otherwise :oops:
I'm a novice carpenter, so far though I'm finding out that if I can imagine it, I can build it. I'm just having real trouble imagining how a latch like this would work. I can't really find any clear examples on the internet.
I'm very much a visual learner. If someone has some pictures of their double use latch, how it's attached to your door and how it operates, that would really help!

Easiest that comes to mind is this latch, which is available everywhere. Mounted on outside of run entrance. I drew in red line, a string that you would attach to the eye of hook. Feed string thru the door frame to the interior of run. Then attach a small ball or something, so the string does not fall out of the hole in frame. It can also just be fastened to an eyelet inside run frame.
Where I marked an "A" is where you can install a padlock for the night, or just a snap clip.

latch.PNG

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Easiest that comes to mind is this latch, which is available everywhere. Mounted on outside of run entrance. I drew in red line, a string that you would attach to the eye of hook. Feed string thru the door frame to the interior of run. Then attach a small ball or something, so the string does not fall out of the hole in frame. It can also just be fastened to an eyelet inside run frame.
Where I marked an "A" is where you can install a padlock for the night, or just a snap clip.

View attachment 3079762

What is this latch called? Thanks.

I'm in the middle of my first coop build. It's honestly going very well and I'm pretty proud of myself, because I've never done anything like this before. I initially planned to just have a simple latch om my run door on the outside, but I just read 3 coop build articles in a row of people who got locked in their run 😆 So I think I should probably plan for one that opens from both sides. I am 100% someone who would get stuck otherwise :oops:
I'm a novice carpenter, so far though I'm finding out that if I can imagine it, I can build it. I'm just having real trouble imagining how a latch like this would work. I can't really find any clear examples on the internet.
I'm very much a visual learner. If someone has some pictures of their double use latch, how it's attached to your door and how it operates, that would really help!
Wait - why would you get locked in the run?

Wait - why would you get locked in the run?
Because you're inside, with the door pulled shut to keep the chickens from getting out, and something happens to the latch.

Some latches fasten automatically when you shut the door.
Sometimes a family member sees that the latch is not fastened, and "helps" by fastening it.
Some latches jiggle into a closed position when you don't expect them to (wind blows, or you bump the side of the run and that's enough to move the latch, or something like that.)

Because you're inside, with the door pulled shut to keep the chickens from getting out, and something happens to the latch.

Some latches fasten automatically when you shut the door.
Sometimes a family member sees that the latch is not fastened, and "helps" by fastening it.
Some latches jiggle into a closed position when you don't expect them to (wind blows, or you bump the side of the run and that's enough to move the latch, or something like that.)
So are you talking about quick or spring latches? Just curious because I’m in the process of run renovations and have purchased 2 slide bolt gate latches (with padlocks). I don’t think these latches could lock me in if I were in the run.

So are you talking about quick or spring latches? Just curious because I’m in the process of run renovations and have purchased 2 slide bolt gate latches (with padlocks). I don’t think these latches could lock me in if I were in the run.
I've seen anecdotes with many kinds of latches, but I didn't keep track of which styles were involved. You're right, some are much more likely to close themselves than others are.

Regular gate latches have the ability to open from both sides with the addition of a piece of small cord and drilling 1 hole and passing cord thru gate to the other side.. be sure you secure the other end or tie a big knot, a ring or ball to the end of cord on inside..

View attachment 3079762

This is exactly the latch I installed on my run door just yesterday! On the inside, I put a hook & eye so I can keep the door closed while I am inside.

Our door opens out. That helps us keep in the deep litter and the chickens. It also helps if we have a big snow. We can shovel the snow outside and the door opens. Here is our latch. One time we did have a keep get stuck. The cable detached. We have modified to make sure that does not happen again. The blue zip tie holds the cable securely to the latch system.

There is also a chick door that connects the secure covered run, to the outside. We could crawl through that if our latch failed. But we have that under control.

Attachments

• 1650974432911.png
    1650974432911.png
    500.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 1650974463633.png
    1650974463633.png
    465.7 KB · Views: 51

Back
Top Bottom