How to build a latch or lock on my run door that opens from both sides?

Like others, I use an out-swinging door with regular gate latch and a string tether on the inside. I lock the latch with a sliding bolt spring snap carabiner (the kind on a dog leash). My string is fancy braided fishing line that's abrasion and UV resistant, I doubt it's going to break and lock me inside; could also just replace the string annually or use metal wire too.

Easiest that comes to mind is this latch, which is available everywhere. Mounted on outside of run entrance. I drew in red line, a string that you would attach to the eye of hook. Feed string thru the door frame to the interior of run. Then attach a small ball or something, so the string does not fall out of the hole in frame. It can also just be fastened to an eyelet inside run frame.
Where I marked an "A" is where you can install a padlock for the night, or just a snap clip.

View attachment 3079762

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
That is what i use as well simplicity all the way. I did however have to replace the string with wire.
I would rather not talk about why..LOL

My latch was the builder's choice. It has handles inside and out that move together and lock with a key. This picture isn't the best - the silver circle is the keyhole. It is usually either all the way vertical or all the horizontal - not partway closed.
I have the same sort of latch on my coop. 100% impossible to lock myself in unless I were to somehow bump it to closed as I collapsed onto the floor... but then the chickens will eat me.

As my run is chain link, I just have a typical U-shaped latch that swings up and down over the post, so again, can't lock myself in.

I'm in the middle of my first coop build. It's honestly going very well and I'm pretty proud of myself, because I've never done anything like this before. I initially planned to just have a simple latch om my run door on the outside, but I just read 3 coop build articles in a row of people who got locked in their run 😆 So I think I should probably plan for one that opens from both sides. I am 100% someone who would get stuck otherwise :oops:
I'm a novice carpenter, so far though I'm finding out that if I can imagine it, I can build it. I'm just having real trouble imagining how a latch like this would work. I can't really find any clear examples on the internet.
I'm very much a visual learner. If someone has some pictures of their double use latch, how it's attached to your door and how it operates, that would really help!
a simple way is a flattish bit of wood screwed on with 1 screw so the longer end of it can swivel...you put one or two each side of the door...

Our door opens out. That helps us keep in the deep litter and the chickens. It also helps if we have a big snow. We can shovel the snow outside and the door opens. Here is our latch. One time we did have a keep get stuck. The cable detached. We have modified to make sure that does not happen again. The blue zip tie holds the cable securely to the latch system.

There is also a chick door that connects the secure covered run, to the outside. We could crawl through that if our latch failed. But we have that under control.
I like the hole through the door jamb - I fed mine through the hardware cloth and I’m not impressed with the look! Thanks for adding to my chores 🤨.

I'm in the middle of my first coop build. It's honestly going very well and I'm pretty proud of myself, because I've never done anything like this before. I initially planned to just have a simple latch om my run door on the outside, but I just read 3 coop build articles in a row of people who got locked in their run 😆 So I think I should probably plan for one that opens from both sides. I am 100% someone who would get stuck otherwise :oops:
I'm a novice carpenter, so far though I'm finding out that if I can imagine it, I can build it. I'm just having real trouble imagining how a latch like this would work. I can't really find any clear examples on the internet.
I'm very much a visual learner. If someone has some pictures of their double use latch, how it's attached to your door and how it operates, that would really help!
a flattish bit of wood with a screw firm enough it doesn.t flap..and koose enough to swivel ..to attach it so it can swivel,one or more each side of door...will try to photograph later

Wow! This topic hits home with me… I’ve been in & out of my run 100 times and just this week the sticky latch on the outside of the run door finally caught me… and locked me in! It was dusk, I was putting my girls to bed in the coup and then realized I was locked in. If I hadn’t had my phone with me to call my wife of 38 years ( who keeps a very close eye on me, NOT) to come rescue me, I’d would have ended up sleeping with the chickens! 😆 great idea about the pull string to open latch from the inside… I’m on it! THX

Maybe this is already posted here - but we use a strong elastic band with sturdy hooks on each end. It pulls the door shut once you've gone through. Ours come from home Depot and are about 18 inches long, flat black elastic band with hooks on each end. Attached mid-height to outside to pull shut a door that opens inside. Hope this helps

Easiest that comes to mind is this latch, which is available everywhere. Mounted on outside of run entrance. I drew in red line, a string that you would attach to the eye of hook. Feed string thru the door frame to the interior of run. Then attach a small ball or something, so the string does not fall out of the hole in frame. It can also just be fastened to an eyelet inside run frame.
Where I marked an "A" is where you can install a padlock for the night, or just a snap clip.

View attachment 3079762

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
I use the same type latch and drilled a hole for a thin wire to be run the same way as above, except we used a large nut instead of a ball, and yes, I had gotten locked in my coop because when we added siding we forgot to see if the wire could still be pulled! Happily I carry a phone so I was able to call my neighbor for a rescue.

Maybe this is already posted here - but we use a strong elastic band with sturdy hooks on each end. It pulls the door shut once you've gone through. Ours come from home Depot and are about 18 inches long, flat black elastic band with hooks on each end. Attached mid-height to outside to pull shut a door that opens inside. Hope this helps

I like the bungie hooked to the wire on the door and the wall.

It's simple and functional.

Back
Top Bottom