How to build a latch or lock on my run door that opens from both sides?

Maybe this is already posted here - but we use a strong elastic band with sturdy hooks on each end. It pulls the door shut once you've gone through. Ours come from home Depot and are about 18 inches long, flat black elastic band with hooks on each end. Attached mid-height to outside to pull shut a door that opens inside. Hope this helps

I like the bungie hooked to the wire on the door and the wall.

It's simple and functional.
Yes, works just like a screen door spring!

I'm in the middle of my first coop build. It's honestly going very well and I'm pretty proud of myself, because I've never done anything like this before. I initially planned to just have a simple latch om my run door on the outside, but I just read 3 coop build articles in a row of people who got locked in their run 😆 So I think I should probably plan for one that opens from both sides. I am 100% someone who would get stuck otherwise :oops:
I'm a novice carpenter, so far though I'm finding out that if I can imagine it, I can build it. I'm just having real trouble imagining how a latch like this would work. I can't really find any clear examples on the internet.
I'm very much a visual learner. If someone has some pictures of their double use latch, how it's attached to your door and how it operates, that would really help!
Hi
you can buy a hinge that allows a door to swing in both directions at a full service hardware store.

Easiest that comes to mind is this latch, which is available everywhere. Mounted on outside of run entrance. I drew in red line, a string that you would attach to the eye of hook. Feed string thru the door frame to the interior of run. Then attach a small ball or something, so the string does not fall out of the hole in frame. It can also just be fastened to an eyelet inside run frame.
Where I marked an "A" is where you can install a padlock for the night, or just a snap clip.

View attachment 3079762

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
I would use the spring closing hinges too. Helps keep the door shut in case we forget.

Easiest that comes to mind is this latch, which is available everywhere. Mounted on outside of run entrance. I drew in red line, a string that you would attach to the eye of hook. Feed string thru the door frame to the interior of run. Then attach a small ball or something, so the string does not fall out of the hole in frame. It can also just be fastened to an eyelet inside run frame.
Where I marked an "A" is where you can install a padlock for the night, or just a snap clip.

View attachment 3079762

We have used this latch and system and it has worked great. This might sound odd, but we put two latches on all of our doors to give the raccoons a harder time. As they say, they do have all night to figure it out ;)

Ours has to be 6 year old workable so this is what we came up with. Two outside for extra closing security but while inside a low one other children can stick their hand through and use from either side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    628.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    749.3 KB · Views: 9

View attachment 3079762

I will add you do not want to be forced go out and handle some disturbance after dark in your skivvies or without a phone. Even with the string or wire.

I'm in the middle of my first coop build. It's honestly going very well and I'm pretty proud of myself, because I've never done anything like this before. I initially planned to just have a simple latch om my run door on the outside, but I just read 3 coop build articles in a row of people who got locked in their run 😆 So I think I should probably plan for one that opens from both sides. I am 100% someone who would get stuck otherwise :oops:
I'm a novice carpenter, so far though I'm finding out that if I can imagine it, I can build it. I'm just having real trouble imagining how a latch like this would work. I can't really find any clear examples on the internet.
I'm very much a visual learner. If someone has some pictures of their double use latch, how it's attached to your door and how it operates, that would really help!

One of the easiest ways to do this is buying a good gate latch that operates from both sides like this one. Gate Latch - Heavy Duty Self-Locking Automatic Gate Latch for Wooden Fence. I have had and put on many of those type that people have mentioned and put a string through the door and they work OK, but unless you keep an eye on the string it may get wrought and fall apart or even worn from pulling on it. I have always put a small rubber coated wire cable on it instead but I have the tools to do that. Also they don't tend to not latch like the other, lighter ones do. So I recommended these instead.

61wVafIMfaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I also recommend using a 11" Gate Spring Self Closing Door Spring. Choose one that can be adjustable. You don't want it to close hard, just enough to bring that door back and latch.

61P3Qf97aVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
That’s my question as well. I use a slide bolt.
Well a slide bolt may keep you from locking yourself in but it will also leave the door unsecure while you are in it. That is a bad thing if you are inside filling the feeders and a gust of wind blows open the door and all the chickens get loose. So having to re-latch it somehow from the inside, like having another slide bolt inside, is at times just more hassle. As-in If you are taking feed inside or caring something heavy best to be able to just push up on a latch and let it close as it self latches for you.

Back
Top Bottom