Very red swollen chicken butt - pictures

lhowland

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 27, 2011
I did do a search and read some of those threads but I still have no idea what is wrong. I went out today and took some pictures. Can anyone tell me what it is or they think it is? And treatment is possible? My vet can't come look, she is ill herself. As you can see it is very red and appears swollen looking. I did include a picture of her wattle which until a few days ago was not wrinkly like it is now and it was a bright red before. Any ideas? Thank you! Another hen seems to be doing the same thing just not as bad. I also had to cut the feathers almost down to the skin because she likes to poop on herself, none sticks to the skin.

That is what a normal (albeit somewhat bald) chicken butt looks like underneath the fluffy feathers. The reddened skin is what happens to chicken skin that is exposed to the elements. Also perfectly normal.

There is no treatment necessary.

Chicklette 1: They were wormed with Wazine just before winter. So I don't think it is worms.

Willow Beth: I do think she is laying, she is with 10 other hens, so not sure. But she has been like this for about a week. It just keeps getting a little worse each day.

CMV: Phew! I was so worried! I had to trim rather excessively because if the poop. They are almost a year old, could it be that they are going to begin to molt? Will her skin go back to normal? I don't plan on trimming her that close again, I will do something else.

Thank you everyone!! :)

Her skin will be fine once her fluff returns.
Good luck.

Thank you CMV! Today when I went out her comb was a very deep red, but her bottom didn't look any worse. She seems fine and is getting much better about the "inspections" I have been giving.

I have the same problem with 2 of my girls, one worse than the other. It started late summer, first with poopy feathers, tried washing, then clipped because I couldn't get clean. They are almost a year old, both are laying. No signs of worms, eating good, active. Under cent, featherless, almost seems swollen and red. Doesn't seem to effect them but it looks bad. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This is exactly the problem I am having with one of my Barred Rocks! Do you really think it is nothing to worry about? One of the girls in my coop has been laying huge eggs... as large as a duck egg... I was worried that Delia (the Barred Rock in question) might be the one and that she is egg bound. Do I need to soak her in warm water? Should I get gentian violet ointment to cover the red? I am afraid she will be a target because of the vibrant hue of her hiney.
Thanks for any input you may have... I'm worried.
Glenny

I took some pictures to TSC yesterday and one of the "chicken" guys said sometimes it happens and if she is eating, acting normal and laying she is fine. Amother lade there recommended Blue Kote so I got it and sprayed her bottom. Blue butt seemed to attract more attention than a red butt! My Red sex link kept following around the one I sprayed looking at her rear! It was kind of funny!

If they were egg bound would they still be laying??

Back
Top Bottom