Very red swollen chicken butt - pictures

I keep having this problem. I've tried apple cider vinegar in the water to help the ph. I've done it all they still get poopie butts. And they lose a few feathers. I get rid of it for awhile but it comes back every few months. I notice it the most after a hard rain. I live in Louisiana and it's the rainy season now. I noticed two of my hens have the begging stage of this. Poop butt matted feathers. Anti fungal creams work great. What concerns me is my roo had a very red inflamed looking area around his back side. He has never had this before. Can roos get this as well?

My little hen was lifting her legs to walk. On investigation I found she had a very swollen red bum. I looked up the forum and decided I would soak her bum in warm water as someone kindly suggested. Armed with a towel and hair drier ( its cold out there with wet hair ) as she finally relaxed into the water her head started to nod and she fell asleep. It must have felt so nice on a sore bottom. Eventually an egg floated out, no hard shell just a soft one. I gave her a good rub in the towel and she sat nicely when she got her blow dry. I have put her down in the run with a handful of seeds and she seems quite happy. There was also a reduction in the swelling on her bum. Anything to try is better than a vet bill or the hen roost in chicken heaven.

My girls had exactly this a while back and it turned out to be lice. It took many inspections before I actually started to see lice and by then the infestation was pretty intense - I felt really bad about it but it was pretty easy to clear up with a little persistence. Hope your gals get better!
How did you treat for lice?

I have 2 RIR / Leghorn cross hens. One is fine, the other looks a lot like the top picture - she's almost bald from the base of her chest to her vent, except for a few straggly feathers, and they're all poopy and smelly. My concern is that the sking that's exposed looks all red and angry. There are no shafts without feathers and she molted late in the fall. She just finished growing back her feathers before the snow hit.
She's otherwise acting perfectly normal and got very upset with me when I tried to inspect the damaged-looking area. I average a dozen eggs a week from my 2 girls, so they both seem to be laying and they're both eating fine and being social with each other. I'm not sure she would let me wash her, but if I did she would have to stay inside until she's dry. She's never been inside the people-house before. Healthy chickens aren't allowed! :)
Should I try washing her? What kind of soap, if any? or just warm water? I do have a hand-held shower. Would that be better than a cloth, considering there is a lot of bare skin (and a good possibility of tender feathers as a result)?

I have 2 RIR / Leghorn cross hens. One is fine, the other looks a lot like the top picture - she's almost bald from the base of her chest to her vent, except for a few straggly feathers, and they're all poopy and smelly. My concern is that the sking that's exposed looks all red and angry. There are no shafts without feathers and she molted late in the fall. She just finished growing back her feathers before the snow hit.
She's otherwise acting perfectly normal and got very upset with me when I tried to inspect the damaged-looking area. I average a dozen eggs a week from my 2 girls, so they both seem to be laying and they're both eating fine and being social with each other. I'm not sure she would let me wash her, but if I did she would have to stay inside until she's dry. She's never been inside the people-house before. Healthy chickens aren't allowed! :)
Should I try washing her? What kind of soap, if any? or just warm water? I do have a hand-held shower. Would that be better than a cloth, considering there is a lot of bare skin (and a good possibility of tender feathers as a result)?

I would bring her inside for a warm bath. Many chickens enjoy warm baths. Dishwashing liquid such as Dawn or shampoo would work. Epsom salts would be okay too, but then dry her with a hairdryer and keep her inside over night in a dog crate. Does she sleep on the floor on wet bedding or does she roost at night? Some birds will peck out their own feathers on the chest when they go broody, but she may be getting pecked by others. Make sure that she is getting a good layer feed, and increase her protein for a short time to help regrow feathers. It helps to let them outside to roam daily, and they will pick feathers if they are overcrowded. Check her skin for lice and mites in case that is a problem. I would also use a vitamin mineral supplement such as Poultry Booster in the feed for a couple of weeks. Make sure that your coop and run are dry and cleaned often, and that pine shavings are kept dry and replenished.

I did do a search and read some of those threads but I still have no idea what is wrong. I went out today and took some pictures. Can anyone tell me what it is or they think it is? And treatment is possible? My vet can't come look, she is ill herself. As you can see it is very red and appears swollen looking. I did include a picture of her wattle which until a few days ago was not wrinkly like it is now and it was a bright red before. Any ideas? Thank you! Another hen seems to be doing the same thing just not as bad. I also had to cut the feathers almost down to the skin because she likes to poop on herself, none sticks to the skin.

The red bum usualy followed by white creamy discharge or on outside stuck to feathers and bald skin is fungal infection . Bath bird 2 drops of dish soap then we squirt a little canastin inside and and wipe anti fungal cream on the outside .
it's possible to be passed to other birds you can buy antifungal cream and yeast infection cream for humans at local drug store .

That is what a normal (albeit somewhat bald) chicken butt looks like underneath the fluffy feathers. The reddened skin is what happens to chicken skin that is exposed to the elements. Also perfectly normal.

There is no treatment necessary.
Day two after I removed the poop ball/ feathers and she is doing great! And she actually has a bounce back in her step! Thank you for all your help!!! Boy a lot to learn about chickens!

My girls had exactly this a while back and it turned out to be lice. It took many inspections before I actually started to see lice and by then the infestation was pretty intense - I felt really bad about it but it was pretty easy to clear up with a little persistence. Hope your gals get better!
What did you use for the lice. My girls have red butts and I am so worried about them.

Back
Top Bottom