Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Been really busy (high schooler up to my ears in homework and extracurriculars)

Our chickens are doing pretty good but 2 weeks ago one of our hens just disappeared. She was an old bird and there were no feathers anywhere or signs of injury on other chickens. We assumed she was old and found somewhere to die alone (we’ve read about this in some books about chicken behavior)
Then tonight another one of our hens is missing, no feathers or signs of a struggle (just like the last time). We’re not sure what to do about it so if anyone has any ideas it would be very much appreciated.

Been really busy (high schooler up to my ears in homework and extracurriculars)

Our chickens are doing pretty good but 2 weeks ago one of our hens just disappeared. She was an old bird and there were no feathers anywhere or signs of injury on other chickens. We assumed she was old and found somewhere to die alone (we’ve read about this in some books about chicken behavior)
Then tonight another one of our hens is missing, no feathers or signs of a struggle (just like the last time). We’re not sure what to do about it so if anyone has any ideas it would be very much appreciated.
It is nice to see you!

A game cam might be the way to go. That way you can figure out if something is taking them.

Cluckingham Palace.

Built this a few months ago. 10 X 26

Super fun project. We had 23 ladies and our bantam rooster, Nugget, in here... they've been free ranging around our yard. But a Hawk got super bold and took three... so they're cooped up for the time being while I work on a gianormous 25 X 75 covered run for them.... stay tuned.

Currently getting about 9 to 15 eggs a day. Need to find a place to give them away to... we're handing them out as fast as we can, but all our coworkers and neighbors are stocked up!!

Love this so much. The perfect addition to our cows, horses, goats, piggies, donkeys, emus and alpacas.

Grateful.

- Ken
View attachment 3824965View attachment 3824966
View attachment 3824971
View attachment 3824972
Looks like they will have a mansion when it's complete!

We are growing our flock, we have issues with eggs disappearing out of the nesting boxes. We mark the ones the hens sit on, and sometimes it's days, other times 2 weeks, they are gone replaced by new eggs. We are considering buying baby chicks and switching them for eggs. We have a friend that's had great success with this so he can help us.

We are also mixing up our own food. My husband put together a spread sheet to calculate how much protein each grain has so we can custom blend the mix for them. The birds absolutely love it. There's no waste like with store bought food and they aren't eating as much. It's more expensive overall, but the fact they don't eat as much may save us money in the long run.

We are growing our flock, we have issues with eggs disappearing out of the nesting boxes. We mark the ones the hens sit on, and sometimes it's days, other times 2 weeks, they are gone replaced by new eggs. We are considering buying baby chicks and switching them for eggs. We have a friend that's had great success with this so he can help us.

We are also mixing up our own food. My husband put together a spread sheet to calculate how much protein each grain has so we can custom blend the mix for them. The birds absolutely love it. There's no waste like with store bought food and they aren't eating as much. It's more expensive overall, but the fact they don't eat as much may save us money in the long run.
Could there be a snake getting the eggs?

It is good that the chickens like the home made feed.

Could there be a snake getting the eggs?

It is good that the chickens like the home made feed.
We've thought of snakes, but it's been kind of cold for them to be out and about. It's not impossible. The coop is up in the air far enough the birds walk under it. The snake would have to crawl up the ramp, get the eggs and crawl back down the ramp without being seen by the cock or mama birds. We need a trail cam to see what's going on.

Thanks for the update!

Do the Hens get to go into a coop at night?
Oh yes! They come up to my kitchen door peering in to let me know they are ready to go in 😂 their pen is open so they can put themselves up (if I’m not home when they are ready) and I lead them to the coop and lock the pen. Coop has a square pen with the housing on top. Hens enter through the floor of the housing (no way to lock the housing, only the pen)

Back
Top Bottom