Chick: Silver laced wyandotte x cuckoo marans

Ashemichelle

In the Brooder
May 26, 2023
Windsor, PA
This is my first experience with hatching chicks at home. My one cuckoo marans decided to go broody, so I let her and this is the product of her and my silver laced wyandotte rooster. Does anyone know what breed it is, if anything other than a random mix?
1000020635.jpg

Attachments

• 20240507_175348.jpg
    20240507_175348.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 1
My one cuckoo marans decided to go broody, so I let her and this is the product of her and my silver laced wyandotte rooster. Does anyone know what breed it is, if anything other than a random mix?
There is no special name for that cross.

It could be called a mix, a mutt, a Marans/Wyandotte cross, or quite a few other terms. BYM is fairly common (Barn Yard Mix or Back Yard Mix.)

Am I seeing two chicks, or two views of one chick?

There is no special name for that cross.

It could be called a mix, a mutt, a Marans/Wyandotte cross, or quite a few other terms. BYM is fairly common (Barn Yard Mix or Back Yard Mix.)

Am I seeing two chicks, or two views of one chick?
Ok that makes sense. It's just the one chick. I'm excited to see what it grows up to look like now that I know it's just random lol

Ok that makes sense. It's just the one chick. I'm excited to see what it grows up to look like now that I know it's just random lol
It will probably grow up to look mostly black, probably with some bits of white leakage in various places.

You said the mother is a Cuckoo Marans? Those are usually black with white barring across the feathers, but the chick looks like it is snuggled against some blue (gray) breast feathers. So now I am puzzled about what color the mother actually is.

It's just a barnyard mix. BUT, if the cuckoo marans (barred) was the mom and the wyandotte was the dad it's a sexlink! No white dot means you have a little pullet, congrats!

Well I was told she was a cuckoo marans but I've been thinking she may be a sapphire gem or something else. I said she was a cuckoo in this post because that's what I was told and I'm relatively new to raising chickens (it's been about a year) so just in case I was missing something 🤷‍♀️ I googled a bunch of times to try to figure it out but google isn't much help as it showed me pictures of "cuckoo marans" that look like my hens and some that don't so it's been confusing. Here's a better photo of the mother, she's all floofed in the second picture

Attachments

• 20240508_181353.jpg
    20240508_181353.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240508_181359.jpg
    20240508_181359.jpg
    939.9 KB · Views: 1
It's just a barnyard mix. BUT, if the cuckoo marans (barred) was the mom and the wyandotte was the dad it's a sexlink! No white dot means you have a little pullet, congrats!
I was thinking the exact same thing, until I took a look at what color feathers that baby was snuggled up to :)

Well I was told she was a cuckoo marans but I've been thinking she may be a sapphire gem or something else. I said she was a cuckoo in this post because that's what I was told and I'm relatively new to raising chickens (it's been about a year) so just in case I was missing something 🤷‍♀️ I googled a bunch of times to try to figure it out but google isn't much help as it showed me pictures of "cuckoo marans" that look like my hens and some that don't so it's been confusing. Here's a better photo of the mother, she's all floofed in the second picture
She is not a Cuckoo Marans.

"Cuckoo" is a particular color, black and white striped. She is not that color.

Marans is a breed. I can't say for sure whether she is a Marans of some other color (Marans can come in blue), or whether she is a different breed or even a mix of some sort (such as a Sapphire Gem, which is a particular kind of mix.)

If I needed to say what she is, I would probably say "a blue hen." Or the longer form, "a blue hen who was sold as a Cuckoo Marans but obviously is not."

Back
Top Bottom