How long does upper respiratory infection last?

May 8, 2024
Hi everyone, I have a hen with an upper respiratory infection. I don’t know what kind of infection it is since I’m not bringing her into the vet. It’s my first time with a sick hen, she gasps for air, wheezing, and coughing. Anyways, back to my original question, I was just wondering how long it takes for them to recover? Google has such mixed results, anywhere from 2 weeks to 25 weeks, so I thought I’d ask the experts here. I have been giving her Sav-A-Chick electrolytes and probiotics along with VetRx for about 4 weeks. She is a Barred Rock.

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

Mine have had a few sniffles of sorts and a minor respiratory infection which took them a few days was all. I gave them vitamin water (Poultry Cell). They always get probiotics as I ferment grains.

I had one get it really bad, so her I brought in the house and gave fishmox I think it's called. It's amoxicillin. I gave that to her for a week and she was better before the week was over.

The VetRx I do as well, a drop under their wings and one by their nostrils, but that's like human Vicks which doesn't cure anything but does make them feel better.

I hope she's feeling better soon! Otherwise, might need some antibiotics.

Has she ever had a swollen eyelid or face, or bubbles/foam in one eye? Viruses can last around a month, and antibiotics do not treat those.Mg can be treated with some antibiotics, but it always remains in the body as a carrier. Symptoms may go away.

Vet Rx is herbal oils plus camphor, and does not treat anything. It is similar to using Vicks. Besides MG and infectious bronchitis, there is ILT, coryza, and others. You might think about getting some testing through your state vet lab or Zoologix, a national lab.

Back
Top Bottom