Indian runner duck?.

azmike2047

Chirping
Apr 11, 2015
Soo i think this is an indian runner duck. Recued him from side of the road. Phx az. Year later getting along fine with my chickens and swims in my pond.. but question is... shld i be feeding em fish or minnows? Right now he eats layer feed or her. Lol.

I'm not too sure of the exact breed, although the body shape looks to be an Indian runner. You don't need to feed fish, and for now layers pellets are fine. If you can, get some duck pellets. As long as your chicken feed doesn't contain additives such as for yolk colour, it's fine to feed ducks (make sure you feed near a water source, as ducks need to swallow water after eating dry food). If you plan on keeping her, you might want to find her a friend, but she will probably be fine living with your chickens.

http://runnerduck.net/feeding.php this may be useful.

Hope this helps :)

Soo i think this is an indian runner duck. Recued him from side of the road. Phx az. Year later getting along fine with my chickens and swims in my pond.. but question is... shld i be feeding em fish or minnows? Right now he eats layer feed or her. Lol.

Looks like a Runner to me, too - maybe splash? I have just one fawn and white Runner duck, so am hardly an expert in Runner colors, but I haven't seen a white one with a black bill before - very striking.
smile.png
@Miss Lydia @Amiga @Ren2014

Sure, occasional fish or minnows would be fine as a treat. Has she laid any eggs, though? If not, I'm wondering if this is a drake, and if so, it would be better for him to eat feed without the extra calcium that's in layer feed.

It's a silver indian runner (blue bill and feet and you might see a stray blue feather here and there). If you've had it for a year and it isn't in the middle of a molt, it's a girl. Does it quack (and lay eggs) or make a sound like something is stuck in its throat? If it quacks, it is indeed a female.
Your duck does not need fish or anything. You can give some as a snack. If it is a girl, the chicken layer feed is fine.

If you have had Her a year already seems your doing fine with what your feeding her [no drake curl so def a female] and beautiful too. the occasional fish or minnow would make a nice snack. Bless your heart for rescuing her from the side of the road. They also love dried meal worms

I'm not too sure of the exact breed, although the body shape looks to be an Indian runner. You don't need to feed fish, and for now layers pellets are fine. If you can, get some duck pellets. As long as your chicken feed doesn't contain additives such as for yolk colour, it's fine to feed ducks (make sure you feed near a water source, as ducks need to swallow water after eating dry food). If you plan on keeping her, you might want to find her a friend, but she will probably be fine living with your chickens.

http://runnerduck.net/feeding.php this may be useful.

Hope this helps :)
welcome-byc.gif
She's beautiful!

Looks like a Runner to me, too - maybe splash? I have just one fawn and white Runner duck, so am hardly an expert in Runner colors, but I haven't seen a white one with a black bill before - very striking.
smile.png
@Miss Lydia @Amiga @Ren2014

Sure, occasional fish or minnows would be fine as a treat. Has she laid any eggs, though? If not, I'm wondering if this is a drake, and if so, it would be better for him to eat feed without the extra calcium that's in layer feed.
If you have had Her a year already seems your doing fine with what your feeding her [no drake curl so def a female] and beautiful too. the occasional fish or minnow would make a nice snack. Bless your heart for rescuing her from the side of the road. They also love dried meal worms
X2 OMG, they LOVE dried meal worms. I need to find a way to invest in them, lol.

Back
Top Bottom