Soft shelled egg laid at 3:43 in the afternoon

austroberta

Songster
5 Years
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
One of the ducks I got in September just laid a soft shelled egg, as she was standing up and running. She was in the pen with my drake. The pool they bathe in is in the pen with him and I had let her in to bathe. I was washing dishes in the kitchen when I saw him chase her, and mate her quick aggressively. I went to let her out and saw a thin fluid from her vent. I put her outside the pen. She was walking strangely and then I saw a perfectly formed shell-less egg come out of her vent. She was standing up when it came out.

I imagine I would have gotten an egg tomorrow from my duck. Was it the forcible mating that caused the egg to come out like that?

I'm cutting off all contact between the drake and my other 3 ducks. He's in the jail permanently from now on until I find him a home. But what do I with my other 3 ducks who apparently still want to be around him?! They are not eating properly or observing their normal routine ever since I've cordoned him off in the pen. They were a little better today, spending time away from the pen, instead of hanging around him on the outside of the pen. However, they still are not eating well.

I'm so hopping mad right now I could spit fire!!

One of the ducks I got in September just laid a soft shelled egg, as she was standing up and running. She was in the pen with my drake. The pool they bathe in is in the pen with him and I had let her in to bathe. I was washing dishes in the kitchen when I saw him chase her, and mate her quick aggressively. I went to let her out and saw a thin fluid from her vent. I put her outside the pen. She was walking strangely and then I saw a perfectly formed shell-less egg come out of her vent. She was standing up when it came out.

I imagine I would have gotten an egg tomorrow from my duck. Was it the forcible mating that caused the egg to come out like that?

I'm cutting off all contact between the drake and my other 3 ducks. He's in the jail permanently from now on until I find him a home. But what do I with my other 3 ducks who apparently still want to be around him?! They are not eating properly or observing their normal routine ever since I've cordoned him off in the pen. They were a little better today, spending time away from the pen, instead of hanging around him on the outside of the pen. However, they still are not eating well.

I'm so hopping mad right now I could spit fire!!
Do you just have the one drake?

Agree with @DucksOhio
I had a couple of those in the beginning with my girls - usually their little bodies will work it out in a few weeks. As long as you're providing oyster shell free-choice, they should eat what they need to get things straightened out.
I had been providing oyster shell calcium when my other duck was still laying. I don't ever recall seeing the duck that laid a soft shell egg partake of it.

I'm a bit freaked, as my first batch of ducks laid eggs with strong, thick shells, and always in the morning.

I'm also wondering how efficacious the oyster shells are. My other duck that just stopped laying last week, was laying eggs with painfully thin shells and she was the one I always saw eating oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom