Tree branches as a roost?

I use 4 x 2 with the corners rounded off, but that's only because I had some left over after building the coop. I do have some natural branches in the run and have left the bark on them.

1608210386391.png

It's more about location, height, and social status than anything about the actual roosts, as far as I can tell.

I totally agree with this. I've played around with tree branches and 2x4's flat and on edge and reached the same conclusion.

I'll join in posting my roost photos. The first two show my tree branch roosts in use. You might get an idea of the diameter.

Roost1.JPG

Roost2.JPG

This close-up gives you and idea of how I made them easily removable and shows the bark still on. I got these from an oak tree after an ice storm made them available. I usually have two branches across here but only needed one for this flock.

Roost Nail.JPG

thanks for all the ideas, guys. i’m really bad at seeing stuff in my head, i have to start working on it to finally be able to envision it in my head lol
I had to go into my coop with branches because I also could not imagine it properly without doing it.

Natural branches make the best roosts. The unevenness of them allow the birds to choose where they are most comfortable. You can experiment with different sizes and shapes to find out which they prefer. Bark will give them traction, you'll be amazed at how quickly they will wear down the bark. Best of all, they're free!

I’m thinking about cost effective ways to finish building the winter coop and I was thinking about using tree branches as a roost. Would I have to remove the bark from the branches or should I leave them on? What should I look for when selecting the branches? Is there any risk of bringing in diseases, parasites, etc...by using them?
I use natural branches for roosts and haven't had any issues

Attachments

• chicken coop007.jpg
    chicken coop007.jpg
    846.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom