African Violets!

VAaddict

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
i currently have 2 blooming african violets and 2 leaf propagated plants from my bigger plant. i want to start a breeding program! anyone?
smile.png

I don't know anything about them, but they are beautiful. One of my most vivid memories from childhood was a lady in our neighborhood that raised them and had them all over her house. So pretty.
smile.png

I bought my Mom some African Violets that are pink and look like ballerinas tutu's. I have some cuttings that are growing but I can't get them to flower... help. Also I have four little leaves that have roots and need new homes if you're interested. I dunno how they'll do in the mail but it's worth a try huh.

The ones I have are similar to the dark and light purple flowers seen in this pictures in the upper left corner, mine are pink though.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...al&ndsp=20&tbs=isch:1&ei=H634S4mRGIKINaz5uYwF

I love them too! But i heard that they are poisonous to pets.
So i cant have any here...
sad.png

all you need is a quiet corner and some strong-medium light and voila!

Watch out! African Violets, especially collecting the "named" varieties, is as addictive as raising chickens! You can find starter plants and leaves on ebay. There are shows where you can buy plants and greenhouses with mail order too. Once you get the hang of starting plants, you can't stop! It's a lot of fun!

I have had the light carts and raised thousands of AV's. I am limiting myself to the four in my kitchen windowsill these days. It's really hard not to buy more!

I bought my first two African Violets at the flower show I was working at this year! Eskimo Kiss and Rob's Combustible Pigeon.

I also got a bunch of AV/Streptocarpus from someone that needed some extra TLC. It was fun looking up all of the names! I'll post pics soon. Haven't tried any means of breeding/reproducing yet, I have my hands full and not enough shelves!

Back
Top Bottom