All the Christian Homeschoolers!

Thanks!

I'm a homeschooled chirstian reformed Baptist. I have 11 chickens (10 hens 1 roo). Buff Orpingtons are my favorite breed☺️. I enjoy gardening, watercolor painting, photography, cooking, baking, etc. I've had my chickens since July of last year and this is my first time raising chickens. @Elspeth Dinsmore is my wonderful sister!
welcome!

I've mostly copied art I've liked. I'm not good enough yet to make things up on my own. Here's a squirrel I painted with the aid of a tutorial.
Do you have any you could share?
How lovely! Tutorials are definitely helpful in developing your skills. I should do more of them, really.
I'll see if I can find anything decent. I'm doing art classes at a private school, so I can find some pictures of those.
Have you tried gouache?

"Ocean" is from a Pictoword project. It was done with acrylic paint. It was displayed in the county art show last week! One of folks' favorite things about it are the tiny footprints going in and out of the waves in the sand.
IMG_20240405_134810.jpg
This is something on my wall. Also acrylic. It was very fun to paint, super simple and quick. IMG_20240328_184700.jpg
"Frontier" is colored pencil and is from another Pictoword project. I'd never really used colored pencil before this, so I had to learn right quick. I also used some unactivated watercolor pencils. Those are great.
I got a B on this because it's for a design class, and this was not terribly well designed. Bah. I am still proud of my accomplishment, I think it came out great for not having experience!
IMG_20240314_221433.jpg
This was a fun graphite project that delt with collaging pieces of architecture together. I'm not entirely satisfied with it, but it was fun. EXTREMELY tedious, will not do again. We had to find pictures of what we wanted to use, trace it onto graphite paper, then onto our working paper, then go over the lines again to even them out. Pictures had to be the right size, too.
IMG_20231129_141749.jpg
This is the first project we had. Actually, we did it, then had to redo it. This is the second edition. It's more vibrant than the first. We had to write our own one to three sentence story, and make a picture of it. I wrote a short poem. Just a couple weeks ago, I actually got to make a digital version.
IMG_20231017_141851.jpg

"Ocean" is from a Pictoword project. It was done with acrylic paint. It was displayed in the county art show last week! One of folks' favorite things about it are the tiny footprints going in and out of the waves in the sand.
View attachment 3810215
This is something on my wall. Also acrylic. It was very fun to paint, super simple and quick.View attachment 3810217
"Frontier" is colored pencil and is from another Pictoword project. I'd never really used colored pencil before this, so I had to learn right quick. I also used some unactivated watercolor pencils. Those are great.
I got a B on this because it's for a design class, and this was not terribly well designed. Bah. I am still proud of my accomplishment, I think it came out great for not having experience!
View attachment 3810219
This was a fun graphite project that delt with collaging pieces of architecture together. I'm not entirely satisfied with it, but it was fun. EXTREMELY tedious, will not do again. We had to find pictures of what we wanted to use, trace it onto graphite paper, then onto our working paper, then go over the lines again to even them out. Pictures had to be the right size, too.
View attachment 3810223
This is the first project we had. Actually, we did it, then had to redo it. This is the second edition. It's more vibrant than the first. We had to write our own one to three sentence story, and make a picture of it. I wrote a short poem. Just a couple weeks ago, I actually got to make a digital version.
View attachment 3810226
Those are amazing!!!

Have you tried gouache?
I've never tried gouache. What exactly is it?
View attachment 3810215
The little foot prints are cute! I haven't tried much with acrylic. With watercolor I can kinda erase my mistakes with water😂. Acrylic isn't so easily reversible. And it takes more time, but I love the way acrylic looks.
This is something on my wall. Also acrylic. It was very fun to paint, super simple and quick.View attachment 3810217
Oh, I love this! That's such a cool idea too! I love painting little flowers! I like to make Bible verse cards with little flowers around the border.
PXL_20240205_195559678.jpg

View attachment 3810219
View attachment 3810223
I have some watercolor pencils but I haven't really used them yet. I should pull them back out again!
That graphite is awesome! Looks hard! I'd be so sweaty it'd just smudge it away😂. I love the look of graphite stuff though.
View attachment 3810226
That's a pretty flower! I tried to watercolor a lily once near the beginning of when I got my watercolor paints.
PXL_20230223_190006957_1.jpg

Last edited:
That last one I'm pretty sure was watercolor pencils. The words are paint marker.
Paint markers are fun!
This wasn't with with a paint marker it was with a sharpie, but here's a sign I made for my Grandma's trunk or treat a while ago.
The feel of sharpies and paint markers are so satisfying!

Attachments

• PXL_20231027_140306974.jpg
    PXL_20231027_140306974.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 5
I've never tried gouache. What exactly is it?
It's a water based paint that works in between acrylic and watercolor. You can add water, and it works like watercolor but it's a lot more vibrant and more opaque, and goes a looong way. Without water, it goes on like acrylic.
The little foot prints are cute! I haven't tried much with acrylic. With watercolor I can kinda erase my mistakes with water😂. Acrylic isn't so easily reversible. And it takes more time, but I love the way acrylic looks.
If you make a mistake with acrylic, you can quickly wipe most of it away, even use some water to lift it. Then you just paint over it. No big deal. It's daunting because you can't just erase it later, but once you get going, it's not so bad!
Oh, I love this! That's such a cool idea! I love painting little flowers! I like to make Bible verse cards with little flowers around the border.View attachment 3810239
Those are so cute! My boyfriend is Orthodox and has several prayers up on his walls in various places. But in true bachelor fashion, they're taped to the walls on index cards with painters tape. 😂 I have told him that when we marry and I move in, I'm going to take them and do something similar to what you've done here. I will calligraphy the prayers on nice paper and do something artistic, maybe even frame them. He likes the thought.
I have some watercolor pencils but I haven't really used them yet. I should pull them back out again!
That graphite is awesome! Looks hard! I'd be so sweaty it'd just smudge it away😂. I love the look of graphite stuff though.
Easy way to avoid smudging with your hand is to put a loose, extra piece of paper under where your hand is going to rest. Easy fix!
That's a pretty flower! I tried to watercolor a lily once near the beginning of when I got my watercolor paints.
View attachment 3810242
That's very pretty! I do like flowers, but I'm not as good at doing them as I'd like to be.

Back
Top Bottom