Anyone ever make a chicken-shaped cake for a birthday? UPDATE PIC

And you say you can't decorate a cake - I think you did an OUTSTANDING job!!!
yippiechickie.gif

You all are so sweet! Thanks for your kind words. And look, I have a new avatar (thanks katylester!).

Yep, I think next time a crumb coat is a definite must-do, thanks ranchhand.

Sunny_Side_Up, I baked the body in a Pyrex casserole dish. I also made some little cupcakes in a mini-muffin tin for the chicks. I baked one loaf-pan cake in an 8" pan. To make the tail, I cut a "slot" in the body, cut a 1" slice off the end of the loaf cake, and inserted it. A dowel would've been a great idea; I used toothpicks since that's what I had on hand. I cut the corner off the other end of the loaf cake, rounded the edges a bit, and used that for the neck and head (also secured in a "slot" with a toothpick). Chocolate chip (and mini-chocolate chip) eyes, fruit leather combs and wattles, and candy-corn beaks finished it up.

Gee, I wonder what kind of cake she'll want next year....

Better than I coulda done for sure I woulda got frustrated and started eating it right then and there. Though I want to bake a cake for my friends birthday, she doesn't like lime or lemon or peanut butter with chocolate but I want to do something different than a white or chocolate cake. Something colorful in a natural way like lots of fruit.

Love the pics!! The cake turned out nice.

Would a chick cake have been easier to make? Just a smaller and a larger round cake layed on it side for the outline of the body. Some yellow frosting, improvise for the beak, legs, etc....... and you'd be done. I thought I'd suggest this for next years cake
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom