Avian influenza found in South Carolina

I waited for 30 days of no infections in my state & then let the girls back out. I don't know what's right or wrong, but that's what I did. :idunno I check the APHIS sight daily.

I will say I cringed when 2 geese flew over while I was sitting on the deck though. :gig
After posting the above I chickened out and I still have them confined. I looked at the Cornell Ornithology Lab bird migration map and saw that we had just had something like 1 million birds pass through a few days ago. Then o saw a dead Canada goose by the side of the road near my house and it was like “a goose stepped on my grave”! I decided to hold out a little more and pray my bullied cock can hold on another week or two.

After posting the above I chickened out and I still have them confined. I looked at the Cornell Ornithology Lab bird migration map and saw that we had just had something like 1 million birds pass through a few days ago. Then o saw a dead Canada goose by the side of the road near my house and it was like “a goose stepped on my grave”! I decided to hold out a little more and pray my bullied cock can hold on another week or two.
Reasonable. Very reasonable under the circumstances.

Sensible.

IMO, it would be bad too be too dogmatic about the situation in either direction. :)

I would have done the same!

Well saw this on my street this morning then it flew to my neighbor’s roof to hang out with a mallard drake. 🙄 and there was a female mallard in my compost this weekend. So I’m not letting the girls out in my yard yet, even though there’s only been a handful of cases in Idaho. Better safe than sorry!
8248A4CF-E43B-41C9-9F6D-E9B41D733194.jpeg

We have multiple pairs of Canada geese here, plus some unmated youngsters, and mallards in pairs too. Also Sandhill cranes, and other birds. Never minded, until this year, when I'd like them all gone elsewhere.
Mary
I've got 8 goslings (Wild Residential Canada Geese) here and the Mallard hen is still sitting so it will be a little bit before I know what she hatches. I keep a very close eye on those goslings health wise. Seems like another Canada Goose pair is eyeing the island on my pond to start nesting 😩

Last edited:
View attachment 3081062View attachment 3081054
View attachment 3081066
Just remembering 2015, the year this pair of geese raised TWENTY-SIX goslings to maturity! I took so many photos, it was amazing, and loved it that year.
This year, no goslings would be just fine...
Mary
Wow! Did they hatch all of them or kidnap some? That's a lot of babies! Older geese are bad about kidnapping (gosling-napping) other goslings from younger inexperienced parents. It's so sad but sometimes those older geese know how to protect the babies better

Back
Top Bottom