Ayam Cemani's: Questions About The U.S.'s Most Expensive Chicken

Ayam Cemani's will begin laying eggs at 5 months of age.They only lay 80 eggs a year. So you figure if you have a 90% fertility rate, of the 80 eggs you have the potential of 82 chicks. Part of the rarity of the bird is that the gene for them to be all black is a recessive gene. So, of the potential 82 chicks their may be 20% that have color bleed (white on them, or not all black comb/feet). Leaving a potential of 65 birds that are pure black. Of those birds 50% will be male and 50% female. Typically, people live in a city and can only have females leaving 32 or so females available each year. This is compared to a Rhode Island or other common egg layers that can produce 280 or more eggs a year.

If you are located in Colorado, we do have some Ayam Cemanis for sale. They are a gorgeous rare bird!

[COLOR=333333]Hello,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I'm considering buying some Ayam Cemani's. Originally I thought to buy less "exotic" chicken just for a DIY thing to do around the ranch, but since I came across these I'm left with quite a few questions and I was hoping for answers from the -experts-?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Greenfire Farms is the only place I have found that sells Ayam's and they are $2,500 each.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]1. Is there a place to buy Ayam's cheaper (Being a normal U.S. resident without any special certifications)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]2. How quickly can the Ayam's breed, let's say I buy 3 hens and 1 rooster, how quickly could I theoretically make an "Ayam Farm" of sorts[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]3. Do you foresee the price of these dropping vastly now that they are in the states and breeding will happen, or will the price remain relatively stable? (Not dropping below $500 a bird)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]4. Could you cross-breed the Ayam Cemani with the Swedish Flower Hen to create a new breed of all black chicken?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]***5. I was under the impression that this breed was only recently imported to the United States for the first time. Is this inaccurate? After some search of BYC, info suggests that there are a variety of breeders, if there are, why is the price still so high?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Best,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]CM[/COLOR]
Hello, we breed ayam cemani in Illinois, but there is a lot of controversy with this breed. We have bred for now going on our second year, and we just started getting feather leakage, which is the silver streaking in the feathers of the neck and wings. Well, I have been told and learned that this is considered a flaw. But today I read something on here look up the forum on ayam/kedu cemani. It shows the different types of jungle fowl and game breeds that the cemanis can have traits from generations ago. The dragon bone cemani is the cemani I have, and thought he was flawed. Well, I am going to do an experiment and see what he throws with some all black hens. And to answer your question, the cemanis dont go for as much now because theres alot more breeders in the US but price goes up according to how black you can breed them and the gamey appearance. Just some things to think on

Hi.
I bought a Leonberger (Dog) for $3500 and that was discounted because it was not show quality. At the time, there were only 500 in the states. 3 years later the market was flooded (many not of the same quality unfortunately. once upon a time (what 5 years ago?) there were only 1-3 breeds that laid colored eggs (blues, greens, pinks, olives, spearmint colors, etc)... now there are almost 16 available, and it's easy to make you own from crosses. Just the fact that another breed already exists as is well enough know - you know of it, right arulnathan.. so other people do also?
, and people do things illegally and sadly like import illegal animals all the time,.. the quality often suffers because people won't cull and want to make a quick buck - so quality does suffer, the 'infatuation' with newest wears off, and only a select few can afford the originally quality that may also still want them are more likely to get them from breeders with established, longterm reputations. (I don't know more than the colors - I've never tasted one, I don't know their temperament....) I am usually a positive person.. you might get lucky, but as for me, this is something I'considering for one of the extensions to my business plan for my small poultry farm. I don't think you are getting in early enough to make money off the hype for that price. I think if you find niche in your area, that is nt a passing fad, you will do better. That's just my two sense. (By the way, my Leoberger was excellent. Sad people have already ruined the great traits only after 8 years).

Ayam Cemani's will begin laying eggs at 5 months of age.They only lay 80 eggs a year. So you figure if you have a 90% fertility rate, of the 80 eggs you have the potential of 82 chicks. Part of the rarity of the bird is that the gene for them to be all black is a recessive gene. So, of the potential 82 chicks their may be 20% that have color bleed (white on them, or not all black comb/feet). Leaving a potential of 65 birds that are pure black. Of those birds 50% will be male and 50% female. Typically, people live in a city and can only have females leaving 32 or so females available each year. This is compared to a Rhode Island or other common egg layers that can produce 280 or more eggs a year.

If you are located in Colorado, we do have some Ayam Cemanis for sale. They are a gorgeous rare bird!
90% ×80=72 chicks not 82.

Hi, I am a Kadaknath Chicken Breeder from India. If I say Kadaknath the Indian name of Ayam Cemani, may be many of you will argue on this point (as I have experienced in past). But what if I say that Kadaknath has many nutritional and medicinal values and that is proven/documented by our Government of India. The thing which I don't understand is why there's so much hype on Ayam Cemani, just because it's an exotic chicken? Black in color? Anyways Kadaknath is also black in color (body, internat organs, toes etc.) but what does one prefer exotic or nutritional chicken?

Hi, I am a Kadaknath Chicken Breeder from India. If I say Kadaknath the Indian name of Ayam Cemani, may be many of you will argue on this point (as I have experienced in past). But what if I say that Kadaknath has many nutritional and medicinal values and that is proven/documented by our Government of India. The thing which I don't understand is why there's so much hype on Ayam Cemani, just because it's an exotic chicken? Black in color? Anyways Kadaknath is also black in color (body, internat organs, toes etc.) but what does one prefer exotic or nutritional chicken?

I think you'll have to make a better case than that. If people wanted a chicken that produced for them they wouldn't have this breed, but one that provided more eggs and meat. The people here are only interested in the aesthetics of it, as an ornamental bird.

Hey, are you still breeding/selling Ayam Cemani? How much for your eggs and/or babies if so?

Back
Top Bottom