Bad Feed?

Just my personal experience... I am seeing decreased laying from my hens. I noticed the decrease about 3 weeks ago. I've had chickens for 10+ years, so I know all about laying behavior and seasonal decrease in laying. This recent decrease is not like any I've ever experienced. I use Dumor layer pellets. Even through the shortest days of the year the last couple months, the laying had not decreased like it is now. My current flock is on their 3rd year of laying and they have never slowed to less than an egg every 3 days. I may have just had good luck not having a pause in laying, but I'm not used to this. In this day and age, in my opinion, nothing seems out of the realm of being a 'conspiracy theory'. I'm not ready to commit to the bad feed theory yet, but if this continues as the days get longer, I'm putting on my tin foil cap.

My current flock is on their 3rd year of laying and they have never slowed to less than an egg every 3 days. I may have just had good luck not having a pause in laying, but I'm not used to this.
If your flock is in it's 3rd year of laying they will slow down or stop for a while between molt and spring. My 3 year olds usually start back laying in Feb.
What breeds are they? Some breeds are not good winter layers.

I'm not saying it may not be feed related.

I did read the article, I heard it from others and although i’m not in social media I heard from those who are, I have not experienced and problems with laying practice from our hens,
I feed Dumore scratch and it’s labeled as 7 grain however it’s cracked corn and about 1% other grains. That is not honest makes me wonder about the quality of grading the protein.
It is common for the hens to cut back on production when the days get shorter and darker.
You only feed your hen scratch...no balanced layer type feed at all?

If your flock is in it's 3rd year of laying they will slow down or stop for a while between molt and spring. My 3 year olds usually start back laying in Feb.
What breeds are they? Some breeds are not good winter layers.

I'm not saying it may not be feed related.
I have 1 California White (slowed the most), some ISA Brown and some Golden Comets. In the past I've never experienced slow downs like this with the Barred Rocks and Comets I used to have. Thanks for the reply! I'm keeping an open mind.

I have 1 California White (slowed the most), some ISA Brown and some Golden Comets. In the past I've never experienced slow downs like this with the Barred Rocks and Comets I used to have. Thanks for the reply! I'm keeping an open mind.

California Whites, ISA Browns and Golden Comets are hybrid layers. They tend to lay like heck for a couple years then often present with reproductive problems. Not to say all but most.

Heritage birds like Barred Rocks and others tend to be better winter layers with less reproductive problems. But any chicken at 3 years will slow production some. Also usually by that age they take longer winter breaks. I have chickens from age 9 months to 10 years.

One way to help ensure winter eggs is the hatch/purchase chicks late winter or very early spring. They need to be of age to start laying by late summer. They should not molt until the next year in fall so you have a better chance of egg production through winter.

Early spring I raised 4 Wyandotte pullets. The first one started laying before my older girls stopped. Shortly after the other 3 started laying so I've had enough eggs to share a few.

One other very important thing in nutrition. Always offer a good balanced fresh (check dates on bag) poultry feed and limit scratch to 10% or less of their diet.
Always have fresh water.

Hope this helps. Best wishes to your flock.

California Whites, ISA Browns and Golden Comets are hybrid layers. They tend to lay like heck for a couple years then often present with reproductive problems. Not to say all but most.

Heritage birds like Barred Rocks and others tend to be better winter layers with less reproductive problems. But any chicken at 3 years will slow production some. Also usually by that age they take longer winter breaks. I have chickens from age 9 months to 10 years.

One way to help ensure winter eggs is the hatch/purchase chicks late winter or very early spring. They need to be of age to start laying by late summer. They should not molt until the next year in fall so you have a better chance of egg production through winter.

Early spring I raised 4 Wyandotte pullets. The first one started laying before my older girls stopped. Shortly after the other 3 started laying so I've had enough eggs to share a few.

One other very important thing in nutrition. Always offer a good balanced fresh (check dates on bag) poultry feed and limit scratch to 10% or less of their diet.
Always have fresh water.

Hope this helps. Best wishes to your flock.
Thanks!! I do about 10% scratch. Ain't gonna lie, I slack on fresh water a little bit in the winter. I'll leave it for max of 2 days if it isn't empty. Thanks for the breed info also. I have indeed had reproductive problems with the hybrids. I inherited them from a friend who gave them up. I think I will go back to heritage breeds when I expand the flock again.

I'm hearing about Tractor Supply Producer's Pride feed causing hens to stop laying, then they go on about the World Economic Forum and them trying to starve us, etc. I use Dumor layer pellets, which is Purina, I thought. So it should be okay? Yes, I have 3 older hens who haven't laid all winter and I have 4 who are laying most every day, so I don't see it has impacted me. Anyone hearing this or is it just an internet hoax? I, personally, do not use social media and what I get is from friends who know I keep chickens, so I don't know if it's real or if it's some tiktokker wanting views. Anyone heard this?
This story is everywhere, and it’s a fact chickens have stopped laying in some instances these are well seasoned chicken keepers reporting, My chickens have laid better on Purina layena than the DuMore, but my chickens just did a normal molt and for a while they slowed down but never quit laying entirely.
I switched to Purina layena because my flock seemed to be constantly famished and I’ve noticed an improvement.

This story is everywhere, and it’s a fact chickens have stopped laying in some instances these are well seasoned chicken keepers reporting, My chickens have laid better on Purina layena than the DuMore, but my chickens just did a normal molt and for a while they slowed down but never quit laying entirely.
I switched to Purina layena because my flock seemed to be constantly famished and I’ve noticed an improvement.
I fed Purina for a long time and had no problems as well. Never tried Dumor

It may be important to note the possibility that not all lots of Purina or Tractor Supply Feed may have changed. If in some areas people may be experiencing this, while in others they are not, it would seem to confirm such a possibility. So finding the lot number for those who are having problems and testing that would be the only way to see if there is a variance.
For us, after learning the connections to WEF of the owners and CEO of both TS and Purina, it was enough for us to change feed. We finished the supply we were using, which supply was providing us normal egg production, but rather than chance another bag, which may or may not cause problems, we found a local-ish feed supply store (30 mins away) and bought from them. Their prices were even better. Their layer feed has a whopping 20% protein content. I'm thinking that will allow us to add more scratch and such. It ferments well too and the girls seem to love both dry and fermented.
Now we are patronizing a small business and not adding to the wealth of those who spout such nonsense as feeding us crickets and taking away our meat sources. Win, win!

Back
Top Bottom