Barred rock, 3 weeks old... is this a male or female?

Uh oh! Really?? Is it a boy?
:(
The feed store sold me "her" as a barred rock pullet...could it possible be some mixed breed as previously mentioned because of her leg color?
In other words, do barred rocks have yellow legs only? Her legs have a pinker tint and she has some feathers coming off the legs as well...
And do the combs of males really come in before the girls?

Thank you for all of the help!

Last edited:
Uh oh! Really?? Is it a boy? :( The feed store sold me "her" as a barred rock pullet...could it possible be some mixed breed as previously mentioned because of her leg color? In other words, do barred rocks have yellow legs only? Her legs have a pinker tint and she has some feathers coming off the legs as well... And do the combs of males really come in before the girls? Thank you for all of the help!
I actually had a pure barred rock girl that had pink legs. This can happen, but shouldn't. Her parents had yellow legs, and her grandparents had yellow legs. It was way back somewhere that the gene for the pink legs was in there. I don't care, I loved her a lot. She was my very favourite chicken (she's my avatar). She passed away this April. If you get feed store chicks, you are never going to show anyway, so standards of perfection really don't matter. The chick could be a pullet. Not saying for sure that it's a boy. I think you will have to wait a couple of more weeks to be sure. I've had chicks with big combs early on turn out to be hens. It doesn't look so big that I have no doubt of it being a boy. There is still a chance it's a girl. ETA:
IMG_3081.jpg
Look at her modelling the leg colour :gig

Last edited:
I actually had a pure barred rock girl that had pink legs. This can happen, but shouldn't. Her parents had yellow legs, and her grandparents had yellow legs. It was way back somewhere that the gene for the pink legs was in there. I don't care, I loved her a lot. She was my very favourite chicken (she's my avatar). She passed away this April.
If you get feed store chicks, you are never going to show anyway, so standards of perfection really don't matter. The chick could be a pullet. Not saying for sure that it's a boy. I think you will have to wait a couple of more weeks to be sure.
I've had chicks with big combs early on turn out to be hens. It doesn't look so big that I have no doubt of it being a boy. There is still a chance it's a girl.
ETA:
IMG_3081.jpg

Look at her modelling the leg colour
gig.gif

Awww! Such a pretty girl~! Thanks for the post.

Oh yeah... what if the comb looks "pinker" than the combs of my Buff Orphingtons when she is 4 weeks old????
Does it mean it's a roo? But my Barred Rock did have pinker comb and legs to start with...but now I am getting worried.
In the photo, it looks even more pinker than it really is. But here are some updated photos of her today.

And lastly...are these feathers on her feet normal?????

Back
Top Bottom