Bay Area BYCers!

There must be something in the air @Honora , that's make all of our hatch rates less than wonderful.
sad.png

Luckily we do get that beautiful "second Spring" in the fall to try again, do let me know when you're ready if you'd like some bantam Orps.

Your broody looks happy, congrats on the wee ones she was able to hatch.

For those that may not have seen the announcement on the California - Northern thread: it's that time of year again:

Click on the link above to be taken to the thread with all of the information. Hope to see you there!

I wish I had gotten around to reading this thread last week! I was looking for something to do this past Sunday. :/
Hope the party was great!

I haven't been on the forums for over a year, but it was nice to come back. Haven't gotten up the courage to tackle the California-Northern thread... think I'll just have to start at the end and give up on what's happened in between.

Currently three of my six bantam girls are broody in the same nest box. :/ This time I gave them a few questionably fertile eating eggs, hoping they'd give up eventually. A few eggs were kicked out earlier with no development, but I found one baby at the bottom of the ramp late on day 20 with an incompletely absorbed yolk sack. She was breathing and cheeping when I picked her up, so I tucked her under my hen pile. But she didn't make it. :(

Hey everyone. Happy weekend.
frow.gif

I'm looking for day to possibly week old chicks again. I've got another broody who refuses not to sit, so I give up. She's been trying for a couple weeks now, so I'd rather give her chicks than let her incubate eggs, for her health. Anybody got babies?
jumpy.gif
TIA.
smile.png

Last edited:
Hello BYC folks.  I live in Fremont and am considering adopting a couple of rescue chickens.  I would love  it if I could visit someone in Fremont or Union City to see what is involved with keeping backyard chickens.  If you can help me I guess you use the mail here.

Thanks!

Are you adopting from animal place? They are awesome!!! I've had great experiences with their rescued hens. Amazing layers of course. And you are doing them such a kindness.

Hi all!

We live in Los Gatos, have had a flock for three years now, moved them from Oakland in November to Los Gatos. Our very first chicken, Pizza, was a red sexlink we found walking down our sidewalk in Oakland! Someone had abandoned a box of chickens at the freeway exit two blocks away, and Pizza was the only chicken that would let me catch her (and most likely the only one to survive the feral cat colony in the neighborhood). Despite looking a little beat up, Pizza laid eggs faithfully for two years until she started to act pretty lethargic and passed away just a few days later-- we suspect she was old and had had a hard life.

We just doubled our flock's size a few months ago from 4 to 8, they are:
3yo RIR: Peggy, who hasn't been laying for a long time, I started a thread trying to figure out what might be going on there, starting to suspect eyp... :(
3yo EE: Hawk
1.5yo EE: Blue
1.5yo Australorp: Beyonce
2 x 17wk Welsummers: Monkey and Dino (it's become clear Dino is a rooster, trying to figure out what to do with him as our landlord won't let us keep a rooster)
2 x 17wk OE's: Rogue and Frodo

We got our 3yo's from breeder Dare2DreamFarms in Lompoc, the 1.5yo's from a feed store, and the 17wk olds from breeder Alchemist Farms in Sebastopol. Will post some pics shortly! Looking forward to being part of the community!

frow.gif

I'm looking for day to possibly week old chicks again. I've got another broody who refuses not to sit, so I give up. She's been trying for a couple weeks now, so I'd rather give her chicks than let her incubate eggs, for her health. Anybody got babies?
jumpy.gif
TIA.
smile.png
Jeremy,

We still have babies. They are about 5 week now. Not sure if that will help you. Let me know.

frow.gif

jumpy.gif
TIA.
smile.png
I do! But they're about 6 weeks old. Dominiques raised from eggs ordered from Nantahala Farms. I vaccinated them for Mereks at day one, an they have been happy and healthy. I have both large/normal sized and bantams. Both boys and girls. Let me know if you're interested! Free to a good home :)

Jeremy,

We still have babies. They are about 5 week now. Not sure if that will help you. Let me know.

I do! But they're about 6 weeks old. Dominiques raised from eggs ordered from Nantahala Farms. I vaccinated them for Mereks at day one, an they have been happy and healthy. I have both large/normal sized and bantams. Both boys and girls. Let me know if you're interested! Free to a good home :)

Thanks @KMilani & @tgooberbutt , but I need itty bitty babies, a week old or younger. I don't think my broody hen would accept chicks that were much older, nor would older chicks probably take that easily to her.

Hi folks! A quick update on our “San Francisco Super Breed“ project
1f60d.png

Recap: We want to create a breed that is:
-super quiet (neighbors!),
-super friendly,
-good layers, laying often, all year round, and good sized eggs
-cold hardy (aka fog resistant)
-small-ish

Here's what we decided to go with in the end:
Faverolles (bantam)
Bielefelder (directly from Greenfire)
Swedish Flower Hens (directly from Greenfire)

We're hoping to cross these three breeds over several generations to benefit from hybrid vigor in addition to each breed's advantages.

First hatch due next week; we're really excited to see what comes out!!!

Here's what the breeds look like:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom