Bay Area BYCers!

Thanks Jeremy!
I've definitely considered all of those breeds except Orpingtons, though a bantam would fit in. My original idea was to go with a few Millie D'Uccles and a standard Easter Egger, though I'm certainly open to alternatives.

Hi All, I've been quietly stocking the thread for a while, and finally jumped in with a post here. My broody recently hatched out 12 dominique eggs from Nantahala Farms in North Carolina. The chicks hatched between 4/20 and 4/22. Six are bantam doms, the six are regular doms. I did not expect all twelve eggs to hatch, but they did, and here I am way overrun with chickens. They are doms, so they are sexable now, and it looks like I have five boys that will need to be re-homed.... anyone in the area want a few super-cute baby dominique, to-be roosters? Dom roosters are known to be very fierce defenders of their hens! They've all been kept indoors in the brooder and isolated from the yard. Merek's vaccine administered on 4/24, and they've been on corrid medicated water and organic chick starter from Modesto Milling since 4/22. I'm willing to deliver the roosters if you're interested, just let me know. I want them to have good long-term homes. Thanks!
Yes at some point I do. These are my favorite. I will need some time to figure out this electric fencing pasture raising situation though. Right now they are in a field near a neighbor's house so I cannot have roosters. I do not know how much of a rush you are in.

Anyone interested in a bantam Chocolate Orp cockerel? He's a sweet boy, and should grow out into a beautiful bird.
Put him over hens any color (other than Chocolate), and he will produce sex-linked offspring.
Choc male X Black female= 50% Black males, split to/recessively carrying Choc and 50% Chocolate females.

& this is his father, to give you an idea of how he could turn out.

Last edited:
Hooray!!! I'm not in any rush, they just need homes before they start crowing! Keep me posted, and these guys will be well cared for until they get a new home!

Yes at some point I do. These are my favorite. I will need some time to figure out this electric fencing pasture raising situation though. Right now they are in a field near a neighbor's house so I cannot have roosters.

I do not know how much of a rush you are in.

Premier1 has the fencing that is highly recommended by the Chicken Experts in Ben Lomand (near Santa Cruz). After an extensive chat with a couple of the experts we knew they were very knowledgeable. Premier1 has a lot of supplies. We ordered from them and they delivered quickly.

Price depends on how long and high you want to cover. We went with 3 feet as mainly trying to keep daytime animals from taking them and I stay with them if they are accessible from the air but it keeps our dogs away. And for nighttime it's just an extra coverage. 
Thanks!

From the UC Davis lab report:

"The lesions observed on gross examination are highly suggestive of a reproductive neoplasia. Probably ovarian carcinoma with
spread to the serosal surfaces of the coelomic cavity and metastasis to the liver, pancreas and lungs. These tumors are very
common in adult chickens. I will perform histopathology on the tissues to confirm my suspicions. These results are pending.
The lesions observed on histopathology are consistent with a malignant round cell tumor that looks like the lymphoproliferative
disease observed with Marek's disease. While the cell type appears similar, I am struck that this agent did not affect peripheral
nerves which is commonly observed in Marek's disease. I am suspicious that this may be a variant we are seeing of this
disease. Further testing is forth coming.

And the final necropsy report:

Adult Barred Dominique hen: etiology lymphoproliferative disease (Marek’s disease probable) with metastasis to other organs

Significant findings:
1. Lung, brain, liver, intestines, oviduct, ovaries, mesenteric fat, kidneys, pancreas, ventriculus and proventriculus :
lymphoproliferative disease (Lymphosarcoma caused by Marek’s disease)

Gross pathology:
1. Ovary: Lymphosarcoma with dissemination to serosal surfaces and parenchyma of kidneys, pancreas and lungs
2. Coelomic cavity: Peritonitis, moderate probable sequela to neoplasia
3. Ovaries: atrophied and replaced by neoplasia
4. Intestinal serosal adhesions associated with the neoplasia metastasis
5. Liver, friable hepatomegalic liver

Histopathology:
1. Lung, brain, liver, intestines, oviduct, ovaries, mesenteric fat, kidneys, pancreas, ventriculus and proventriculus :
lymphoproliferative disease (Marek’s disease)
2. Serosal surfaces: Peritonitis, with neoplastic cells"

So - it's a cancer, and the pathologist thinks it's onset was caused by Marek's, but the nerves were not affected in the way that one would expect with a traditional Marek's infection. The birds in the yard were all vaccinated with a Marek's vaccine at the hatchery, and since these guys were hatched from eggs, I ordered and administered a Marek's vaccine (ordered from Jeffers):

https://www.zoetisus.com/contact/pages/product_information/msds_pi/pi/md-vac_cfl.pdf

I've tried to make sense of the necropsy report - is it, or is it not actually Marek's, and if it is, is it the vertically or horizontally transmitted version (is it contagious)....I still don't know. But, yeah, full disclosure, a hen in my flock died with the necropsy report listed above. She was just under 2 yrs old, with no seizures or signs of nerve issues...nothing that you would traditionally associate with Marek's, but there is says...Marek's probable lymphoproligerative disease. All other chickens in the flock are healthy and happy...the oldest is now 4.5 yrs old. Let me know if you're still interested.

Hmmm.... I saw in another thread you may have had a confirmed case of Mareks?

Thank you for letting me know. It is true it does not sound like traditional Marek's and may not be.

Unfortunately I do not want to risk my flock because I am not sure if they are all vaccinated. At this point it is too late to do so for them.

I am going to pass. Thank you very much for the opportunity though.

Last edited:
Hi guys! Is anyone selling silkie hens? I'm looking for a mama for my baby silkies, and prefer silkie hen because I may want to hatch other eggs and rather not use an incubator! But if anyone else is selling any females please let me know. Thanks! :)

Happy Monday Bay Areas BYCers

We have chicks, some of which are up for sale if anyone is interested. The 1st one hatched 5/5/16 and the last hatched 5/7/16 so they are all <1 week old. They are currently being cared for by our broody Buff Orpington.

We have 3 welsummers, 2 french copper marens and an 1 australorp (see photos below). PLEASE NOTE: They were all feather-sexed at 1-2 days old and seem to all be females but I am far from an expert so cannot 100% guarantee their genders.
They all have the same father: Silver laced Wyandotte w/ Rose comb

Additionally we have a 9 month old laying Silver leghorn Hen (white eggs). Our rooster (Wyandotte) is bigger than her and tends to not mate her often, if at all. We are looking to find her a new home. Both the Leghorn and Wyandotte are shown in the photos below

Message me if you are interested and we can discuss re-homing fees.

Back
Top Bottom