Bloody eggs from welsummer

Eggcessive

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
I am starting to get bloody eggs from my 9 month old Welsummer. I have 2 of these girls, hatchery stock, and they have been laying for 3 1/2 months, but 1 has just started doing this almost every day for the last couple of weeks. I realize that they are okay to eat, but do any of you notice this with your chicks or welsummers?

Blood spots in the egg or blood smeared on the shell? I notice blood sometimes on the eggshell when one of my girls starts laying a larger egg than she previously has. I check the hen/pullet to make sure she doesn't have copious amounts of blood around her vent, but otherwise don't worry about it.

Do you have a rooster? Blood spots IN the egg mean that the chick may have just developed a little. But they're fine to eat.

Gritsar is right, my girls on occasion will lay an egg with smeared blood on the shell.
thumbsup.gif

Sorry I wasn't clear, but the blood is on the inside in the albumen. It was very infrequent before the past 2 weeks, now almost every egg of a certain chicken is bloody.

Last edited:
Quote:
Okay, check the link I provided above. Try not to freak too much on the illness causes. IMO, those are much rarer than the other causes. Some hens just seem more prone to them than others.

Thanks Gritsar for the link. I get 16-18 eggs per day that I love to share with family and friends, and only 2 girls lay these dark brown eggs. I can't tell the 2welsummers apart that lay them (only 1 is affected), so I guess we wil just have to keep the pretty ones for ourselves. There are a couple of green eggs for everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom