BYC Debate Thread- What's The Friendliest Chicken Breed?

View attachment 3068161

This official BYC poll shows that over 75% of voters keep chickens mainly for pets. However, it's hard to keep chickens as pets if they run away from you when they see you, or they attack you. Many chicken owners dream for (or have) their perfect lap chicken. Individual chickens vary based on their personality, how they were raised, etc, but some chicken breeds are better pets than others. Now I want to hear from you: what is the friendliest chicken breed to humans?

:celebrate Welcome to the debate! :celebrate
First the rules, please do read them!!!

Rules:

• This thread is open to all BYC members.
  • You can only debate for up to 3 different chicken breeds, no more than that!
  • No arguing, or being rude. We all have different opinions. This is a debate, not an argument!
  • Please back-up your answer, one word is not convincing- if you don't know what to write please use the guide that is featured later on in the post.​
  • Using articles and other threads to back you up is welcome.​
  • Must be a chicken breed, maybe soon I'll make a thread for other poultry!​
  • You may use relevant pictures.​
  • All BYC rules apply: Terms of Service (Rules)

If you are unsure what to write, use these to start you off....

• What is the friendliest chicken breed(s)?
  • Why do you think this?
  • What evidence can back you up? Threads? Articles?
  • What is your experience with this breed(s)?
  • What breeds are not very friendly? Why?
  • Anything else

I will update the second post with all the breeds that have been mentioned and links to all the posts mentioning them.

Let's get debating!
We have these small white hens - white leghorns. They are a joy.

Also delightful are our isa browns (although they are red, not brown).

Our black giants and white brahmas are sweet, but markedly less friendly. The Others follow us all over and come running when they see us.

I'm going to put my vote in for Porcelain D'Uccles. We've had a few and every one has been actively friendly, enjoying and seeking out attention. Sadly, this can make them very prone to predators and accidents, so I think if you want one as a pet, make it a housebird with a nice little indoor coop (rabbit or parrot cage).

Bantam games come in a close second, although they seem to need more attention as (ridiculously tiny!!!) chicks to be as friendly as D'Uccles.

I haven't read through, but I'm sure a LOT of people have voted for Silkies. In my experience, they are very tolerant of people and handling, but that's not the same as actually friendly. We just lost our Silkie hen who was a house bird for the past 2 winters, as she was not a hardy bird, and even though we enjoyed her toodling around the house, and she'd always let herself be picked up and handled, she never sought us out.
For big breeds, I have to say Buff Orps have been the most consistently friendly without special treatment, Some of them just, right from the brooder with other chicks, decide the Big Thing That Brings Food is awesome and they're going to make friends. But, having said that, the friendliest chicken we ever had that wasn't meant to be a special pet and so got special treatment was an EE hen, that adopted DD, would hop in her bedroom window, have a cuddle on the bed, and lay an egg in her hamper. I really miss that chicken. But we've had a LOT of EEs who've run the gamut in personality, so I can't say as a breed they are consistently friendly, but as a breed they do seem to be consistently bold and curious, so it wouldn't surprise me if they also had a bunch of votes.

Ok I have the wierest chicken for you. My roo hazelnut is like a grumpy two year old. He loves me so much that he crows in my arms and tries to breed with my hand or foot. He does love his cuddles and hugs only form me though. Any one else he will spur. Maybe it has to do with me carring him around for his whole life. He came out side with me and three other roos as chicks (sadly they all died but hazey) when they were three days old. I think that has something to do with that.

Ok I have the wierest chicken for you. My roo hazelnut is like a grumpy two year old. He loves me so much that he crows in my arms and tries to breed with my hand or foot. He does love his cuddles and hugs only form me though. Any one else he will spur. Maybe it has to do with me carring him around for his whole life. He came out side with me and three other roos as chicks (sadly they all died but hazey) when they were three days old. I think that has something to do with that.
So I don't know what breed he is. But in my experience I would say a black sexlink. My hen Cassyopeia she is a jerk. She peaks dogs, she made hazelnut go half blind, she peaks Joey's comb scabs off, and not to mention she makes everyone bleed. Then you have her baby, hope. Hope is a very problematic cross. If you every hope to touch her then you have a death with for your arm. She will scratch it off. And Cassy's son Joey is a sweetie but not like hazelnut.

This is my flock friendliness meter:
  1. Noodles- D'UCCLE- loves cuddles all the time, jumps on my lap for cuddles. An absolute angel, I couldn't love her more
  2. Thor- COCHIN- loves cuddles, but you have to put her on your lap
  3. Vision- BRAHMA MIX- will walk up to you to say hello, will let you pick her up, no cuddles
  4. Raven- SILKIE- likes attention and some hugs, but on her own accord
  5. Wanda- BRAHMA MIX- will walk up to you and will be held for a bit but she's a time bomb
  6. Blue- SILKIE- likes attention and hugs, but no picking up
  7. Fries- SILKIE- eats from my hand but when you pick her up its flap city, but you can calm her down
  8. Pippin- SILKIE- eats from my hand but will run away if you try catch her. When you pick her up she makes piggy squeals!
  9. Dally- POLKIE- hates me, screams and runs when touched! Only ate from my hand once

I have to say one of the friendliest breeds of chickens has been my polish tophat hens (all colors). They usually started off a bit skittish, but eventually found us to be part of the flock. They will always come over to us for treats. They will fallow us like the dogs. I’ve had one that use to jump on my lap. They never run away from us. I’ve integrated two new hens and they are so curious to what we are doing. I think they became friendly because they were our first chickens and got a lot of attention. They are not skittish of my dog and will run to us when they see us in the yard. The new ones are in my face little girls always wanting to say hello. I’ve owned polish hens for 8 years and they have long life expectancy too. Lay beautiful white eggs average 4-5 days a week. Beautiful to look at. They are a smaller breed for standard chickens, if space is limited. Cons: they can be blinded by their feathers covering their eyes and make them predator prone. I haven’t had this problem yet, because I live in an open setting with bushes for them to hide. I’ve never had this breed go broody and they come in so many colors! Gold laced, buff, silver laced, blue and black. They all will eat from our friends hands and a lot of people who have never been around chickens , loved how interactive they were with them. Be aware, they like to photobomb your photos at picnics (they want your food)!. Lol

My second group would be barred rock hens. They are always there! If I’m in their coop, they are at my feet. If I’m letting them free range, they will keep an eye on me and see if one can get a roost on my shoulder. Sounds cute ! Until it pokes my eye out 😂 they are just very into people and being in your business. Very social and I know they are a common looking breed, but they are great egg layers too. They can be a bit bossy, space is important. My girls love to chatter and can be noisy laying their eggs.

Ps, this is incredibly hard!! Because all my girls are so sweet and the mix breeds are even more sweeter. But I’m not sure if mix breeds count?
I agree with the Polish being super friendly! Ours also follow us like dogs. We found our cat laying on his back in the middle of our tophats, relaxed as can be today! The Polish roosters aren't as sweet as the hens though, we have found. I was attacked consistently by one everytime I came near. But we gave it away, and the other one will follow us around like a puppy.

We have had Easter Eggers and Marans in with the Tophats, and although they have their pecking order they all seem to get along!

Can anyone tell me what kind of chicken breed is the one that is black (every feather is basically black except for the breast), has orange and yellow specks on the breast, red combs, and is pretty friendly? (Sorry just in case that is a bad description) I "babysat" a few chicks of that kind that were extremely naughty. Whenever I turned my head a walked a few steps away they would escape from their brooder immediately :gig.Whenever I returned, they would utter some innocent chirps and stare at me with virtuous eyes. The buff orpingtons were good, however.

View attachment 3068161

This official BYC poll shows that over 75% of voters keep chickens mainly for pets. However, it's hard to keep chickens as pets if they run away from you when they see you, or they attack you. Many chicken owners dream for (or have) their perfect lap chicken. Individual chickens vary based on their personality, how they were raised, etc, but some chicken breeds are better pets than others. Now I want to hear from you: what is the friendliest chicken breed to humans?

:celebrate Welcome to the debate! :celebrate
First the rules, please do read them!!!

Rules:

• This thread is open to all BYC members.
  • You can only debate for up to 3 different chicken breeds, no more than that!
  • No arguing, or being rude. We all have different opinions. This is a debate, not an argument!
  • Please back-up your answer, one word is not convincing- if you don't know what to write please use the guide that is featured later on in the post.​
  • Using articles and other threads to back you up is welcome.​
  • Must be a chicken breed, maybe soon I'll make a thread for other poultry!​
  • You may use relevant pictures.​
  • All BYC rules apply: Terms of Service (Rules)

If you are unsure what to write, use these to start you off....

• What is the friendliest chicken breed(s)?
  • Why do you think this?
  • What evidence can back you up? Threads? Articles?
  • What is your experience with this breed(s)?
  • What breeds are not very friendly? Why?
  • Anything else

I will update the second post with all the breeds that have been mentioned and links to all the posts mentioning them.

Let's get debating!
The red sex link hen I have is a very docile girl.. So docile she was ready to let my dogs rip the feathers outta her! Glad I could catch them. My dark cornish and Rhode island red are also pretty tame girls. Admittedly though, as my username may suggest, I'm not as into the chickens, so I don't keep as many breeds of them.

Back
Top Bottom