BYC Debate Thread- What's The Friendliest Chicken Breed?

Any chicken in the pot is friendly to me. :) Any chicken unfriendly goes in the pot.
{I raise mutts, honestly can't speak to aggressive breed tendencies. All my "root stock" birds were chose either because they were productive, or because they werer predator aware [usually means "flighty"], except my Dark Brahma, which were simply a mistake.}

Mine was very talkative and sassy. She had an amazing personality. But, she was extremely skittish. While she was at the fair (in a small cage) she would run to the back wall and scream while I got her feeder and waterer. I did love her though.
Mine was a rooster and i may be biased because every rooster ive ever owned except my current one I’ve hated.
He was so skittish and extremely flighty, mean and spoiled, hated all things joy like the bitter and black soul he had and he was like a big burnt piece of toast.

I had another sebright rooster and he was the exact same thing. No matter how much i loved him and snuggled with him the next day he just forgot it all and wouldn’t even let me touch him. Keep in mind this was when he was like 2 weeks old, so everyone else was so lovey and he was just a snot.

Their gorgeous, but because i have chickens for pets, they are not for me.

Mine was a rooster and i may be biased because every rooster ive ever owned except my current one I’ve hated.
He was so skittish and extremely flighty, mean and spoiled, hated all things joy like the bitter and black soul he had and he was like a big burnt piece of toast.

I had another sebright rooster and he was the exact same thing. No matter how much i loved him and snuggled with him the next day he just forgot it all and wouldn’t even let me touch him. Keep in mind this was when he was like 2 weeks old, so everyone else was so lovey and he was just a snot.

Their gorgeous, but because i have chickens for pets, they are not for me.
Yeah. Nugget wasn't mean, but she was a hen. Just really flighty and skittish. Like I said, she had a wonderful personality and she was GORGEOUS!
20211209_160531~2.jpg

Yeah. Nugget wasn't mean, but she was a hen. Just really flighty and skittish. Like I said, she had a wonderful personality and she was GORGEOUS!
View attachment 3294060
Very pretty! Love the golden. I only had 2 silver. I got 2 eggs and a adult, but one didn’t hatch. Was really rooting for a hen.
E481D366-8FA1-4097-B592-FA5440CDAE70.jpeg
Then the glow up
BF112E62-FDDD-47EA-88EF-8CEBE1C6C4E6.jpeg
7624D39E-CE59-4FDA-BCA0-2F3B7781DE7B.jpeg
(Him and a Japanese bantam hen. They were like soulmates. She was extremely sad when we first got rid of him)

View attachment 3068161

This official BYC poll shows that over 75% of voters keep chickens mainly for pets. However, it's hard to keep chickens as pets if they run away from you when they see you, or they attack you. Many chicken owners dream for (or have) their perfect lap chicken. Individual chickens vary based on their personality, how they were raised, etc, but some chicken breeds are better pets than others. Now I want to hear from you: what is the friendliest chicken breed to humans?

:celebrate Welcome to the debate! :celebrate
First the rules, please do read them!!!

Rules:

• This thread is open to all BYC members.
  • You can only debate for up to 3 different chicken breeds, no more than that!
  • No arguing, or being rude. We all have different opinions. This is a debate, not an argument!
  • Please back-up your answer, one word is not convincing- if you don't know what to write please use the guide that is featured later on in the post.​
  • Using articles and other threads to back you up is welcome.​
  • Must be a chicken breed, maybe soon I'll make a thread for other poultry!​
  • You may use relevant pictures.​
  • All BYC rules apply: Terms of Service (Rules)

If you are unsure what to write, use these to start you off....

• What is the friendliest chicken breed(s)?
  • Why do you think this?
  • What evidence can back you up? Threads? Articles?
  • What is your experience with this breed(s)?
  • What breeds are not very friendly? Why?
  • Anything else

I will update the second post with all the breeds that have been mentioned and links to all the posts mentioning them.

Let's get debating!
New Hampshire Reds. Of course, mine may still be juvenile and haven't gotten to fight and mating age, but roosters get along. They show kindness to the hens and have seen a Rooster actually sit next to the hens and show interest in her doings. Had them since chicks. They haven't started sexual activity, yet. Maybe a change in demeanor when we get there. For now, the kindness of these birds is very interesting and entertaining.

Attachments

• IMG_20221006_143323.jpg
    IMG_20221006_143323.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220929_185657.jpg
    IMG_20220929_185657.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220828_183307.jpg
    IMG_20220828_183307.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220728_095022.jpg
    IMG_20220728_095022.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 2
Very pretty! Love the golden. I only had 2 silver. I got 2 eggs and a adult, but one didn’t hatch. Was really rooting for a hen. View attachment 3294062Then the glow upView attachment 3294063View attachment 3294064(Him and a Japanese bantam hen. They were like soulmates. She was extremely sad when we first got rid of him)
They're cute! I'm getting a whole assortment of Bantam breeds next year, so I'll update then. And when I say assortment, I mean about 10 different breeds and about 15 chicks.

The most friendlist chicken i have owned yet would have been my Easter eggers that i got rid of. This year its my buff orpington, she is the first one to run up to the gate every time i go out she pecks me if i dont pick her up, and she is the boss of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom