BYC Debate Thread- What's The Friendliest Chicken Breed?

In my opinion so far, Silkies are super friendly.
Only from my personal experiences of owning them several years and reading throughout the BYC community.
I have a Light Brahma rooster and 3 hens that are super friendly. Again, personal experience and the small farm I purchased them from. Their flock was sweet and friendly. This made me choose to own them.
Believe it or not, I have a Black Roundhead Game hen that is as friendly as my Silkies. Which is probably out of character for her breed. She is an exception, a weirdo, LoL.
I have 32 adult chickens in total, 4 separate flocks and 10 different breeds. ....and 35 chicks...
So I don't have a wide experience with too many breeds.
I have:
Light Brahma, roo & hens (4)
Americauna hens (3)
Blue Copper Maran hens (2)
Coachin hens (2)
White Leghorn hens (2)
Rhode Island Red hens (2)
Black Roundhead Game hen (1)
Silkies, Black & white, roos & hens (12)
Satin hen (1)
Red Quill American Game, roo & hens (3)

Last edited:
humans specifically
Its my observation that chickens that go out of their way to be human friendly are usually the first to die of predation in free range settings, thus providing an actual reason why favorite chickens are the first to die. The friendly ones become favorites because they are friendly, and they die because their lack of stand-offishness translates to lack of alertness.

I have found those oriental games I’ve raised to be friendly. My aseel rooster is now someone’s hand pet on a game farm I sent him to. My aseel x Liege cross likes my companionship and will sit and rest with me if I sit down outside. Yet he’s a terrror to other roosters and small animals.

I'd 100 percent say Brahmas, I've had them for years and they are the sweetest giants ever! Always run up to me sit in my lap, nicest breed I own, duccles are 2nd though just got some chicks and are the sweetest little things too!
giants can be such gentle giants :love my gentle jersey giant mutt is super sweet to humans.

Some people would say Silkies, however, my silkies are the meanest. Probably because they are always broody and for them broody = grumpy.

My nicest chicken in my flock believe it or not is my Barred Rock. She is quiet and calm all the time. However, she does stick up for herself if someone is a bully.

My runner up is my buff brahma, her name is big momma.

I don't have experience with the breeds that have already been brought up, but the sweetest chicken we've ever had was a barred rock. Our current friendliest chicken is a giagantic rhode island red who is very food motivated. She jumps for treats and while the other chickens scatter to forage when I throw food for them, she just looks at me and waits for me to hand feed her.

Its my observation that chickens that go out of their way to be human friendly are usually the first to die of predation in free range settings, thus providing an actual reason why favorite chickens are the first to die. The friendly ones become favorites because they are friendly, and they die because their lack of stand-offishness translates to lack of alertness.

I have found those oriental games I’ve raised to be friendly. My aseel rooster is now someone’s hand pet on a game farm I sent him to. My aseel x Liege cross likes my companionship and will sit and rest with me if I sit down outside. Yet he’s a terrror to other roosters and small animals.
Emily chases down predators. Shes fiesty. Thats why i like them, someone fights her thats twice her size? She stands up on her tippy toes, staring at them growling. She always ends up winning.

out of all my chickens, she would be my least cowardly, i love her!

Back
Top Bottom