Cackle Hatchery reviews

I haven't actually ordered anything from cackle (or any hatchery for that matter) so I can't say much about their customer service. I did get a few easter eggers and guineas from a friend's cackle hatchery order last year though. They are all very good looking birds. The EEs are beautiful and great layers. I have not found any guineas locally that are as big and beautiful as the ones I have that came from cackle. I will definitely be ordering some guineas from them this year. I may have to order the surprise too, just for fun!

I haven't actually ordered anything from cackle (or any hatchery for that matter) so I can't say much about their customer service. I did get a few easter eggers and guineas from a friend's cackle hatchery order last year though. They are all very good looking birds. The EEs are beautiful and great layers. I have not found any guineas locally that are as big and beautiful as the ones I have that came from cackle. I will definitely be ordering some guineas from them this year. I may have to order the surprise too, just for fun!
Do you have any pics of the EE's that you got? I ordered from them this year and they are nice looking birds, I do agree.

Here's a couple photos of them. My rooster had been a little rough on them when these were taken.

Last edited:
They are lovely. :) I have 6 eggers from Cackle and they are fantastic gals. They lay wonderfully, and are pretty and sweet girls.

They are lovely. :) I have 6 eggers from Cackle and they are fantastic gals. They lay wonderfully, and are pretty and sweet girls.
I am keeping the two EE cockerels that I got from them this year and they will be the dads to next year bunch! I love the coloring on both of them. Here they are! This is Bacon. This is an older picture, but he has different coloring now

This is Taco my favorite one of the two

My order of Welsh Harlequin Ducks and White Leghorns shipped 2/19 of this year. Cackle did an excellent packing and shipping job. All except one of the birds, a leghorn, arrived well and they always ship extra birds. The one leghorn lacked energy and warmth; eventually became too runty and died off after about two days, even with special care. One duckling died after a few days, but that could have easily been from handling her too much.
Overall great birds and I would order from them again.

BTW, under their History on the website, it states in 2000 the breeder flocks are raised on 75 surrounding farms and each flock owner specializes in chicks, waterfowl, bantams, turkeys, etc. I am only a small flock owner, but I am can see good reasons to keep birds on separate specialized farms and have one centralized place specializing in hatching and shipping.

Received our second order of 20 chicks from Cackle less than two weeks ago (first order was last summer). All various bantams. This years' batch (two extra were sent) seemed especially strong and active right from the get go, and are still happy and healthy and growing rapidly. Communication and customer service with Cackle has always been clear and thorough.

I have never had good luck and will never order from them again. They have flubbed my order 3 times in the 3 times I have actually ordered from them. They would not own up to their mistakes even though the feed store I ordered through tried to contact them. They sent me some RIR mixes when I ordered BCM's, they shipped me two Red Sex link roos instead of the EE Roos I ordered... and then this year out of the 6 I ordered, only two are looking like the correct breed. My Wellies look correct, but my Cuckoo Marans are Australorps, and my Buff Orps are mixed, their first feathers came it almost red. I've also had all the chicks purchased out of the Cackle Hatchery bin at my feedstore one year fall over and die about a week in.

I don't know if they were out of Cuckoo marans this year and thought they could ship Australorps in their place, but there were too many people there complaining about the flubbed shipment this year and they would not fix the issue. 3 separate orders of orders refusing to be fixed and an impossible customer service line to get through is enough for me to say no more. There are some people who get great service from them, but I have not, and would never recommend them unless you're prepare to get wrong orders, mixes, and no help. This nonsense of "guess one got over the fence" happens way too often and seemingly to me on multiple accounts. They always seem to be swamped with orders and yet never seem to have enough people there even though they know it's going to be quite busy.

Then you have a clear example of what you did not order, and they claim it is. I think if someone has a solid red chicken, it's not a welsummer or a buff.

Back
Top Bottom