California-Southern

@Sylvester017
Thank you so much for sharing your story with me!! I just love the pics too. We have a partridge silkie named Zsa Zsa Gabor!

And a smooth black silkie named siouxsie Sioux (after the goth singer)

We also have some frizzle and sizzle Cochin we got from fabulously feathered silkies in central California!
But I love hearing about other sources.

@Sylvester017
Thank you so much for sharing your story with me!! I just love the pics too. We have a partridge silkie named Zsa Zsa Gabor!

And a smooth black silkie named siouxsie Sioux (after the goth singer)

We also have some frizzle and sizzle Cochin we got from fabulously feathered silkies in central California!
But I love hearing about other sources.

Love the names and beautiful birds!!! The Partridge variety is my absolute favorite colors - camouflages outdoor dirt and stains VERY well!!! Is your Black Silkie a Cochin cross?

Once you have luck with a breeder source you tend to use them again most understandably. Cochin bantams were another breed we considered and were offered Cochin-Silkie crossed chicks but I won't take chances with unsexed chicks any more.

With all her helper daughters off to college, the friend we got our Partridge Silkie from has dispersed all her breeds to raise only Coronation Sussex now. She supplies classrooms with hatching eggs. She offered me a free Coronation Sussex breeding pair with the stipulation that I breed them pure. I can't have roos so had to pass up the rare birds!!! With limited zoning and limited backyard space I can't try all the breeds that I would like!

I miss farm animals since my childhood days and the closest I can get to farmlife now is a tiny backyard flock of pet hens
smile.png
. We planned the coop to be next to the garage door and near the kitchen sliding door under a patio roof so we don't have to walk in the rain to collect eggs!

@Sylvester017
I hear you about unsexed chicks! My husband handed me a no crow collar from the mail moments before we realized our white standard silkie (we think he was a roo) had been attacked! We aren't supposed to have roosters but we were going to try to make it work because he was such a character.
Our partridge doesn't even look like a chicken to me! I think she's more dinosaur than anything.
1f602.png

We got her at an older age than our other girls, around 3.5 months old, and she's not the most affectionate so I'm trying to gently hold her every day to get her warmed up. I love her colors, they look like leopard print and tiger stripes.
We didn't bargain for Cochins but miss America picked us out! She is the funniest thing ever. She's the size of a pigeon, looks like a turkey, and screams like a sea gull. She just started laying and gives us a tiny egg every day.

I love our Black Austrolorps. They have tolerated this summer heat so well and keep laying every day! Docile, sweet and friendly. My boys have raised them from day old chicks.

@Sylvester017
I hear you about unsexed chicks! My husband handed me a no crow collar from the mail moments before we realized our white standard silkie (we think he was a roo) had been attacked! We aren't supposed to have roosters but we were going to try to make it work because he was such a character.
Our partridge doesn't even look like a chicken to me! I think she's more dinosaur than anything.
1f602.png

We got her at an older age than our other girls, around 3.5 months old, and she's not the most affectionate so I'm trying to gently hold her every day to get her warmed up. I love her colors, they look like leopard print and tiger stripes.
We didn't bargain for Cochins but miss America picked us out! She is the funniest thing ever. She's the size of a pigeon, looks like a turkey, and screams like a sea gull. She just started laying and gives us a tiny egg every day.

That is so sad about your roo
sad.png
. I can't imagine!

My Partridge is not my most adoring Silkie but she has her sweet moments like standing on my shoe at treat time or sitting on my shovel when I'm digging in the garden. And she is such a "dainty" eater taking little bites to drop on the ground and savor every little peck! She gets so much food stolen from her that way! If the others are being pigs we put her on our side of the garden to give her treats that can't be stolen by the other chickens!

Aren't little bantam eggs the most precious?! Our very first Silkie egg ever was only 1-oz but the next ones were fairly consistent 1.25-oz with a 1.5-oz occasionally.

Here's the only fart egg I ever got from a hen in 5 years ~ Breda white egg, Silkie tinted egg, and tiny Silkie fart egg:

I love our Black Austrolorps. They have tolerated this summer heat so well and keep laying every day! Docile, sweet and friendly. My boys have raised them from day old chicks.

It pays to keep handling hens. So many people don't think their 'Lorps are very friendly ~ they need little chicken wranglers like yours to tame these large girls!

I'm bringing a black Crested Polish, 4 mille fleur, 3 BCM, a white something, several EE, and a few mix breed roosters out to Oxnard trading Post. Unless anyone wants any??????

All gone....dropped them off - I still have a bunch that haven't started crowing yet.

Last edited:
I'm bringing a black Crested Polish, 4 mille fleur, 3 BCM, a white something, several EE, and a few mix breed roosters out to Oxnard trading Post. Unless anyone wants any??????

All gone....dropped them off - I still have a bunch that haven't started crowing yet.

Dont know how far it is fro you but it either wes feed or petes feed in el monte youd have to google it. They take roos as donatioms and give you a bag of feed for them. Then rehome them. They make sure they wont be eaten or fought. We jave taken a few to them ove the years.

Dont know how far it is fro you but it either wes feed or petes feed in el monte youd have to google it. They take roos as donatioms and give you a bag of feed for them. Then rehome them. They make sure they wont be eaten or fought. We jave taken a few to them ove the years.

Thank you!!! I'll give them a call. I hatched way too many babies, causing me to rehome a lot of roos!!

Back
Top Bottom