Call Duck Assortment from Metzers

Pics
I was just checking the page again and it says

ā€œPlease note, Call Ducks can fly very well and because of this, we do not insure this breed. Historically Call Ducks have been bred with short, wide heads (brachycephalic) and short bills. Here at Metzer Farms, we are not going to stray from the APA guidelines, but we aim to breed a naturally shaped duck - just much smaller. We feel this will allow them to be more productive in terms of fertility, longevity and hatchability.ā€
Which I donā€™t think it said before. I already got 2/3 of my call ducks insured lol. And so apparently they donā€™t care if the calls have long bills. Just in case anyone cares that they arenā€™t breeding for small bills

ā€œPlease note, Call Ducks can fly very well and because of this, we do not insure this breed. Historically Call Ducks have been bred with short, wide heads (brachycephalic) and short bills. Here at Metzer Farms, we are not going to stray from the APA guidelines, but we aim to breed a naturally shaped duck - just much smaller. We feel this will allow them to be more productive in terms of fertility, longevity and hatchability.ā€
Which I donā€™t think it said before. I already got 2/3 of my call ducks insured lol. And so apparently they donā€™t care if the calls have long bills. Just in case anyone cares that they arenā€™t breeding for small bills
Interesting. I'm not surprised about the bills, they'd have to help hatch all those ducklings if they stuck to such a short bill.

IMG_5216.png

So I had seen the first part about their flying ability, but not the bill shape part. Interesting!
Iā€™m not sure if this is on the website, but in their newsletter it says they purchased this breeding flock. Maybe the more natural head shape is consistent with that particular flock?
Itā€™d be interesting to compare and study these traits to see if it does and how it affects the ducksā€™ lives.
Some people say breeding call ducks is unethical and cruel, but just look at English Bulldogs and Pugsā€¦people still breed those and sell them for a lot šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Attachments

• IMG_7046.jpeg
    IMG_7046.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom