CALLING ALL BARN CAT OWNERS! 🐱TOUGH FLUFF!🐱

If your chickens are fully grown, the cats won't do too much to them. Besides stalk them. Socks use to stalk my silkie, but besides jumping on her and running away franticly, he never hurt her
The youngest we have right now are 15 weeks. There’s a broody right now who’s eggs are due next week, we usually keep them penned for the first couple of weeks before letting them out with the flock. Should we be worried about them with new cats?

Last edited:
I don't have any pictures, but I have a lazy barn cat named, get ready for the best name ever, Barny. She showed up maybe two years ago and became very friendly. We don't have many pests, but I find an occasional rodent, bird, or lizard that she hunted. She's really sweet, but she's been getting thin and isn't as young as she was.

I don't have any pictures, but I have a lazy barn cat named, get ready for the best name ever, Barny. She showed up maybe two years ago and became very friendly. We don't have many pests, but I find an occasional rodent, bird, or lizard that she hunted. She's really sweet, but she's been getting thin and isn't as young as she was.
What colour is she?

She's a tortoise-shell with mostly orange and brown.
Also, I don't know her gender because she was neutered before she came to me. That was one thing her previous owners did right.
I do think Barny is a girl though. If she gets inside with my house cat (who is female) they'll fight. I think it's same gender conflicts and not Barny trying to "woo" my house cat.
I also have an obviously male cat who comes by to eat. He and Barny don't fight, but they do get sick of one another fast.

The youngest we have right now are 15 weeks. There’s a broody right now who’s eggs are due next week, we usually keep them penned for the first couple of weeks before letting them out with the flock. Should we be worried about them with new cats?
My cat is terrified of chickens. Sometimes I carry her around like a baby (I’m attached), and the garden happens to be right by the coop. If she makes eye contact with a chicken, and catapults out of my arms and she’s out of there!

For younger chickens, be careful. They’re like little birds to cats. I would wait until the chickens are full grown before the cats can get near them, and when you do let them roam together, watch it for the first few days. (Most) Roosters scare (most) cats, so if you have one I think your in good hands for now ;)

Also, I don't know her gender because she was neutered before she came to me. That was one thing her previous owners did right.
I do think Barny is a girl though. If she gets inside with my house cat (who is female) they'll fight. I think it's same gender conflicts and not Barny trying to "woo" my house cat.
I also have an obviously male cat who comes by to eat. He and Barny don't fight, but they do get sick of one another fast.
If she’s tortoiseshell she’s female. Something like 99.9% of tortoiseshells are female.
My cat is terrified of chickens. Sometimes I carry her around like a baby (I’m attached), and the garden happens to be right by the coop. If she makes eye contact with a chicken, and catapults out of my arms and she’s out of there!

For younger chickens, be careful. They’re like little birds to cats. I would wait until the chickens are full grown before the cats can get near them, and when you do let them roam together, watch it for the first few days. (Most) Roosters scare (most) cats, so if you have one I think your in good hands for now ;)
We’ve got a few roos, so I’m all covered on that front. I’ve got 2 other cats, the adult is mostly an indoor cat but when she’s out she and the birds avoid each other. I have a kitten that’s more curious, but he’s been pecked enough times to know not to mess with them too much.
We’ll definitely keep the broody penned until babies are big enough to not be a target. The cats that we’re looking are still small enough that I don’t think they’d try a half sized chicken.

Awe, love all the beautiful hard working cats🤗
We have four cats and two kittens that will be future hunters.
Our oldest, Midnight.
45ADAB70-96CB-4874-930A-F4A13EE3807C.png

Our best hunter, Smokey. He caught a pesky stripped gopher.
FAC11F58-D658-4324-A300-41B4E57D40B3.png

Our freeloader, Ebony😝 I rarely see her leave the shed and never see her with any kills. She is the sweetest little darling though❤️
A3B56DF4-5E03-4F74-8680-0FD834A31502.png

Max, a stray that showed up and my daughter tamed him. He loves attention, but only if he’s in the shed. If he sees you outside the shed he will run and act like a feral cat. Such a goofball.
78AE0D59-B8A0-41D5-9257-7885E627B253.png

And our two kittens that will join the others come spring.
2FD09B6B-3D56-4EFC-997C-AB9C326E4D4F.png

Back
Top Bottom