briannajustine

Chirping
Sep 17, 2021
I have 4 chicks that are about 4 weeks old and would love to see if anyone had any ideas about whether they’re hens or roosters! I know 4 weeks might be too early but the suspense is killing me and I have no idea about sexing chicks so thought I’d see if anyone had any ideas! We have two Araucanas and two olive eggers. Hoping for all hens but I doubt that will be the case haha
Here are the chicks:
Chick one: Araucana. Thinking this one may be a rooster. Feathers came in much slower then the others plus those legs are huge and have been since a week old. Stands more upright then the others and just overall looks different

35323FC8-3566-43D6-9761-8161DB69F336.jpeg
45872140-2534-4CB5-914F-8C336CB2098C.jpeg

Chick 2: Araucana. The boss, this chick is top of the pecking order and tends to fight more often then others.
24A5D6A0-F1FE-4BD4-B2C7-14B286821357.jpeg
6D2C788B-88C0-462E-94DF-D6C633E2190C.jpeg

Chick 3: olive egger. Second in the pecking order and pretty bossy, feathers have come in the quickest and had wing weathers from hatch. Went from the smallest chick to the biggest
FE285256-880B-4617-AAC9-5FE0AFAAE9BA.jpeg
85448B48-7D5D-44A1-BF43-1B51D662A481.jpeg

Chick 4: the smallest and sweetest chick and definitely my favourite so really hoping it’s a hen!! Feathers grew in pretty quickly and the bottom of the pecking order. About half the size of the others and looks like a hen to me but maybe that’s just because I want her to be so badly haha
699289C8-F3E9-4898-B8A7-5A29D233ABEB.jpeg

6EA3B755-0238-405A-B906-622E8046A2E3.jpeg

Knowing which ones grew feathers fastest and slowest does not help with sexing most chicks. It is possible to do a cross that will produce pullets & cockerel that grow feathers at different speeds, but it is not common to find such chicks for sale.

Chick 3, the Olive Egger that you say grew feathers fastest, looks male to me because of how large and bright pink the comb is.

All the others are either female, or males that are developing slower than #3. It is quite common for some males to develop obvious combs faster than others, so it will probably be several weeks or longer before you can be sure about the rest of them.

Knowing which ones grew feathers fastest and slowest does not help with sexing most chicks. It is possible to do a cross that will produce pullets & cockerel that grow feathers at different speeds, but it is not common to find such chicks for sale.

Chick 3, the Olive Egger that you say grew feathers fastest, looks male to me because of how large and bright pink the comb is.

All the others are either female, or males that are developing slower than #3. It is quite common for some males to develop obvious combs faster than others, so it will probably be several weeks or longer before you can be sure about the rest of them.
The comb on chick 3 has only developed in the last few days, the grey one (chick 1) also has a comb a similar size where as the other two don’t have one yet. Maybe both a roosters 😟

The comb on chick 3 has only developed in the last few days
That's pretty common. First you have a group of chicks, then one day there's this big, bright comb and you suddenly know there's a cockerel!

the grey one (chick 1) also has a comb a similar size where as the other two don’t have one yet. Maybe both a roosters 😟
They might be. It wasn't obvious to me in the photo, but you're the one in a position to see them better.

The grey one has bigger legs then the back! So maybe both roosters 😟
When your chicks are all different breeds, leg size won't help much. Some breeds just do have thicker legs than others. Comparing leg sizes is more useful when you have several chicks of the same breed. You might have two males, or you might not, so I'll just suggest you watch the questionable one and the others for a few more weeks and see how they develop.

Back
Top Bottom