Can I use ivermectin and safeguard?? Please let me know!

Krysthal109

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2023
Good evening, in two days i will go through my second round of treatment of ivermectin pour on for Mites and lice. But I have an issue. One of my girls has what I believe is Cecal worms (long, thin, and white worms), and I have some safeguard for horses on hand to treat my whole flock. Can I treat my flock with safeguard and ivermectin pour on at the same time? Is it safe?

Yes, its not approved/sanctioned, but it has been studied, it is approved for use in other animals, and there are no known negative drug interactions - it doesn't make either drug either ineffective or more dangerous. You can even buy the two products together as a single drug for horses, pigs, and cattle (I believe - horses I'm sure off, cattle I'm not 100%), and its been studied in monkey as well as various mammals (pets).

Its not studied in chickens because fenbendazole [correction] ivermectin [/correction] isn't approved for use in chickens.

Last edited:
Yes, its not approved/sanctioned, but it has been studied, it is approved for use in other animals, and there are no known negative drug interactions - it doesn't make either drug either ineffective or more dangerous. You can even buy the two products together as a single drug for horses, pigs, and cattle (I believe - horses I'm sure off, cattle I'm not 100%), and its been studied in monkey as well as various mammals (pets).

Its not studied in chickens because fenbendazole isn't approved for use in chickens - though many of us have used it off label very effectively (self included).
sounds great! Also, how much of the safeguard paste should I give each chicken. I’ve seen people mention cc and ml, but I don’t understand it too well? I’ve also seen people say to give each chicken a pea size dose, but others say that dosage is wrong. And is it possible to overdose safeguard Paste? Sorry about all the questions I just want to be sure! Thanks.

cc and ml are the same amount - one of the deliberate oddities of the metric system.

Beyond that, I'd have to do the math. Pea sized dose is what I have seen recommended here by people on BYC whom I trust, whose experience with poultry illness and injury is FAR FAR greater than my own.
I see, thanks for your help! I’ll be dosing my whole flock in two days!

And is it possible to overdose safeguard Paste?
Fenbendazole is very safe to give to birds; studies have shown that a dosage up to 100 times the recommended dosage may have no side effects. However, ivermectin can be toxic to birds if the recommended dosage is exceeded. (Unlike with mammals where high dosages of Ivermectin have no side effects). So Ivermectin is the med you want to be careful with when medicating birds.

Back
Top Bottom