Can we specifically talk Knives?

cafrhe

Songster
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Western central NJ
Ok, I have killed 1 chicken in my life in a chicken processing class. I signed up to watch only, but there were extra chickens, so I tried. While the bird did not seem distressed in any way, I apparently did not sever one of the arteries, and he didnt bleed out quickly enough.

I dont like to kill, I am a nurturer....That said, it is $4/bird to have them processed around here. We have our 1st 30 meat birds, only because the local kid who was raising and selling pastured poultry has gone to college and is not raising birds this year. Man were they good chicken! This was sort of an impulse decision to get them. I needed to have 25 for the processor to reserve a day for us and I wanted to make sure we got these guys processed when they needed it.

I am selling the extras. I am considering the next batch. And also considering holding back a few from this batch for us and the kids to do. We'll see how brave I feel. My main concern is causing pain. While I understand needing the sharpest knife possible, I worry I wont make those 2 slices well enough.

Can someone specifically tell me which knife to use in what part of the process?

cutting the jugulars--which is best--the scalpel type knives like the havalon or a filet knife (as says my equally inexperienced husband).

When researching processing knives I see the names boning, filet, skinning, butcher (like this set: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LJ3GNBW?psc=1).

Which stinkin' knife do I order?? What do I use each one for?

Thanks for any advice--I want to be prepared especially incase we need to cull any of the birds early (they are 4 weeks old now)

Also, for anyone who has to be inspected--can you use traffic cones as killing cones and pass an inspection? My guess is that you can clean and sanitize them, but wonder if they are as acceptable as stainless. I am in NJ so am exempt for under 1,000 birds per year, but dont think that exempts me from the possibility of an inspection.

I would invest in a good knife sharpener instead of a set. A knife blade of about 3", and feels comfortable in your hand should be all you need. Keeping it sharp is the important part.

what brand? What shape? The movement was to push through the neck and slice outward, so a thin point or does that matter if the blade is sharp enough?

For killing, I find a small filet knife works well. For cleaning after plucking, I favor, don't laugh, a folding utility knife with replaceable blades, the kind they sell in home improvement stores. When the blade gets dull, pop in a new one. I also use it for separating in to pieces.

Last edited:
I never use the point of the knife at all. I press the edge of the blade near the handle against the neck, and slice. Might not be the right way, but has always worked for me.

So a thinner blade would be better. Fillet knife would work fine for killing, but a little long for the rest of the job.

My knife of choice for poultry and small game has been an old Opinel that my Grandfather gave me. It works great, has lasted many years, and is still comfortable.

http://www.opinel.com/en/pocket-knives-and-tools/tradition
what brand? What shape? The movement was to push through the neck and slice outward, so a thin point or does that matter if the blade is sharp enough?

Last edited:
Wish I could tell you that there is a perfect knife, but it all comes down to personal choice and keeping the blade sharp.

Thank you for the information. I'll feel better about the whole thing if I feel like I have the right tools.

That's natural. Hopefully I can ease your mind by telling you any sharp knife will do. No need to buy anything special.

That's natural. Hopefully I can ease your mind by telling you any sharp knife will do. No need to buy anything special.

This is our thinking. My Honey has 4 or so different knives he uses when we butcher. Not a different knife for different things, but one knife until it starts to get dull, then he moves on to the next. They're all different styles ( think a filet, an Alaskan something with changeable blades, and a plain utility knife from Wal-Mart), but he's comfortable with each one and just moves down the line so we don't have to stop and sharpen knives all the time. It's amazing how fast they dull up on you, I think it's something about cutting through feathers.

Cheap stamped knives dull relatively quickly. Forged knives don't have to cost ~$100 and come from Germany or Japan.

For the killing cuts, use a sharp thin blade with curve (belly) to slice versus cleaving. Pull smoothly with the pressure of a semi-firm handshake.

A pairing knife can work but are typically too thick unless you are using a Japanese petty. Don't shy away from something like a nice cheap Opinel.

Back
Top Bottom