Can we specifically talk Knives?

I have said this before....

Havalon Knives solve most problems, they have replacement scalpel blades that are fantastic. It's all we use now for everything.

They really are fantastic

I use the shortest filet knife I can find for killing. For the rest of the process I use a Chicago Cutlery 5" boning knife. I, too, agree that keeping the knives sharp is key. Be sure to have a butchers steel handy. I touch my edges up after every 3 to 5 birds.

You could also try going to grocery store and asking the meat department for a couple of chicken necks, preferably with skin on. I found it very helpful to practice my slices and try out my knives on something that I could not hurt. You may discover you have perfectly good knives on hand already. If you have a box cutter with a fresh razor, give that a try as well.

I could never figure out if my knife was sharp enough or not. I mean what exactly is "razor sharp". I tried so many differnet knife sharpeners always unsure. Did the usual tests like slicing through tomatoes and paper. Still was not sure about anything. Got some knives I thought would be "sharper", but they became duller with a bit of use.

Then all my problems were resolved when I came across the worlds best knife sharperner. I can use any knife, run it through this kife knife sharpener 2 or 3 times, and voila in about 20 seconds I have the shrapest knife in my kithcen. I can highly recommend this product. Not sure where you can get it from in the US but I got mine on amazon in the UK.

Here is a video review by someone,
. By the way it's a lot smaller than you think.

I stink at sharpening knives, so use a box cutter/utility knives with fresh blades.....the kind that unscrew and come apart for full cleaning.
Only do 3 birds at at time, if I did more I'd get more knives with fresh blades ready to use if needed.

One is used only for the jugular cut, make sure you get between the feathers down to the skin.
The other for gutting.

I use poultry shears too, especially for bone joint cuts.... head, neck, feet, tail.

Last edited:
I just proccessed 5 meat birds that i had from earlier. Purchace

And used my havolon what a awsome knife i have skun a few deer with it and a fox which was it main purpose but now its to be my main chicken knife only used one blade and used from start to finish on all t birds still sharp as ever.
I have 23 morre to do in 6 weeks

I vote havalon

I have a set of a bunch of these that I found for about $2/piece at Homegoods or Marshalls or someplace like that. I sharpen them all up and use each one until is stops cutting easily, and just swap to the next one - when I get to the end of the line I sharpen them all again. I also have a cleaver I use for separating joints and a pair of shears.

http://www.amazon.com/Scanpan-Spect...7767&sr=8-66&keywords=nonstick+utility+knives

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. I got my havalon in the mail and will probably order a short fillet knife or look for one in a real store soon. I have a chicken I have to cull today. I am nervous--just want to do it as quickly as possible for her. I believe she is injured, so I have no choice (the rest of the bunch is going to the processor on Friday--part of me wants to be a wuss and let her hold out until then, but that would be cruel...)

Back
Top Bottom