Chicken Breed Focus - Dominique

When I first mentioned to my extended family that we were going to start a flock my Uncle James blurted out, "Make sure you get some of them Dominikers! You won't be disappointed or find a better bird." Later I found out that my grandfather had a very large stock that gave them plenty of meat, and most of his hens laid 5+ days out of a week. This was great for a family with 9 children. And none of their children were ever skinny.
In my beginning flock we tried a variety of. In this group was a trio (a cockerel and two pullets) of Dominiques. After having the trio we have learned a few things about the breed. They are awesome foragers, are smart, are friendly (our first roo liked to be carried around), they love attention, are very hardy, and are great for eggs and meat. I did not expect that much meat on such a small cockerel, but they usually dress out around 5lbs after 5 months.

How do they fare in extreme cold-30-40? The roosters in particular?

They are suppose to do well because of the rose comb the frostbite is not as likely. I just got a dozen eggs this spring from show stock, they guy I got them from has won ribbons for 65 years with his birds. So I am really excited to see what they look like as adults. I had 11 hatch from the dozen eggs.

Living in Minnesota, I am getting tired of Winter trimmed Combs on my roosters so I am moving towards birds without the single comb. These are one of my new "go to breeds" I hope.

My doms are very sweet and docile. The hens are quiet, and they're hardy layers, laying throughout the winter (at least here in Florida). I keep them for eggs, but they are all nicely shaped and heavy bodied, and I've sold breeding stock to people who will be raising their chicks for meat purposes. Overall, they're good foragers and a pleasure to watch overall. :)

I mostly have exhibition breeds, but something feels good about owning a heritage breed too, you know?

I am enjoying the unique look of the Dominique. For the longest time, I thought Dominiques and Barred Rocks looked the same, and couldn't tell one from the other. Then I met a local breeder and got to see the birds side-by-side. They are so amazingly different. My mind was blown and my brooder filled. I have 7 happy, healthy Dominique chicks in a brooder. Now to just keep them away from my Rocks in the juvenile coop. lol. I have too many breeds. lol! It is hard to keep them all straight some days, especially since my juveniles are all combined into one extra-large grow-out pen before being separated into either breeder pens or layer pens.

I will try and get some pics in the morning. It is currently the middle of the night here and the chicks are all sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom