Chicken falling over after I put her down!

Amaury

Hatching
Aug 23, 2023
I was sitting down on the ground earlier today with her, she came up to me and fell over. I thought she just wanted to lay down but then she tried getting up but couldn't. She was pushing on the grass trying to get up. I had to pick her up and help her balance her self. She is walking and climbing fine but later on, I picked her up taking her inside her coop and she fell over once I put her down. She keeps falling on one side as well. Her right leg seems to be the problem. I looked up what it could be and I saw stuff like Malek's disease and other scary diseases which freaked me out cause I'm like super attached to my chickens. She's around 7-15 weeks, I don't know her exact age. She hasn't made an egg yet as well If anyone has some answers, please let me know! Her name is Nugget by the way.

It sounds like vitamin deficiency to me, what kind of feed is she on? Since she’s acting completely normal and you don’t see any abrasions or swelling in that leg?

It sounds like vitamin deficiency to me, what kind of feed is she on? Since she’s acting completely normal and you don’t see any abrasions or swelling in that leg?
She's on a non-medicated Purina starter feed. And her leg seems fine, I didn't see any bumblefoot on the leg. It could very well be nothing but I just want to make sure just in case it is something. She hasn't been on the medicated feed in a while so that could be it as well.

Welcome to BYC!

Are any other flock members exhibiting similar behavior at all?
What I'd do is get vitamin E 400IU and 1/3 of a B complex tablet and give her those daily for a week or so. Also give her eggs to help her absorb the vitamin E.
Hopefully it's nothing serious!

She's on a non-medicated Purina starter feed. And her leg seems fine, I didn't see any bumblefoot on the leg. It could very well be nothing but I just want to make sure just in case it is something. She hasn't been on the medicated feed in a while so that could be it as well.
Are you feeding any other foods/treats and such?
Is it hot where you are?
Are any of the other birds acting off?
I assume you have others the same age and source.

She's around 7-15 weeks, I don't know her exact age.
That's a big range of age, where did you get them?

Welcome to BYC!

Are any other flock members exhibiting similar behavior at all?
What I'd do is get vitamin E 400IU and 1/3 of a B complex tablet and give her those daily for a week or so. Also give her eggs to help her absorb the vitamin E.
Hopefully it's nothing serious!
The other I have seems to be fine, she doesn't tip over or anything. Does medicated feed have those vitamins? I can also try giving her eggs to see if that helps too.

Are you feeding any other foods/treats and such?
Is it hot where you are?
Are any of the other birds acting off?
I assume you have others the same age and source.

That's a big range of age, where did you get them?
I fed them mealworms and crickets 2 days ago as a treat. And yes its very hot, I created a little shade that they go under and also a tiny pool. My other chicken seems to be fine, she isn't tipping over or anything. They're both the same age. I got them at Tractor Supply, I also now recalled that we got them on May 20th so they're about 3 months old.

The other I have seems to be fine, she doesn't tip over or anything. Does medicated feed have those vitamins? I can also try giving her eggs to see if that helps too.
I'm glad your other chicken is doing okay!
I don't think medicated feed has them, if they did it probably wouldn't be enough vitamins anyways.
Yes, try giving her some eggs.

Back
Top Bottom