Clipping her wings didn’t work?? Don’t understand.

rod5591

Songster
6 Years
Oct 15, 2017
Cookeville TN
One of our hens (7 month old Plymouth Rock) has been flying over the 6 foot fence to forage so I clipped her left wing per the instructions on BYC. I cut the 10 primary flight feathers with sizzors right above the 2nd set of feathers. Today I was putting out some food, and had placed it on the top of their feeding station, which is 3 feet off the ground. I was so surprised when she fluttered up to the top of the table. Do some chickens need both wings clipped? Any experienced advice welcome!

How far can you go when clipping there wings?My hens that keep flying over my fence are Cornish game mixes so that may be my problem.
So long as the feathers are completely done growing (no blood feathers) you can do the whole way to the skin. But then your bird doesn't look much like a chicken anymore. I prefer to take it in sections--clip one wing, see if that stops it, then clip both wings if that doesn't work, then clip another inch off the first wing if she's still getting over the fence, etc.

Don't know much about Cornish Games, I'm afraid.

OP as you have found clipping the wings is not always the answer
And IMHO clipping both wings is always wrong! The purpose of clipping a wing is to set them off balance so they do not fly (going over a fence is not flying).
I was gifted an EE the poor dear had both wings clipped to nothing. She could still jump 8 feet to a tree limb!
I myself look to find why they go over the fence, then change that. In the long run this is more effective than clipping wings. If one goes over my fence, I chase it down with a fish net, they absolutely hate the net!. Curiosity is hard to fix,,,,

Clipping wings will not prevent a chicken from flying, but it will make it hard if not impossible for a chicken to set its sights on an overhead goal and fly to it. Chickens are also world class climbers and they can can use their feet to climb anything near the fence then hop or flutter over. Clipping both wings is similar to clipping neither wing because the chicken in question can still fly straight but maybe not as high or as far.

Why do you say that? The consensus on these boards is that it is cruel to the bird and also not so effective as one wing.

Before you answer, allow me to confess we have clipped 5 birds so far and each is still flying over the fence!

Back
Top Bottom