Clipping her wings didn’t work?? Don’t understand.

Why do you say that? The consensus on these boards is that it is cruel to the bird and also not so effective as one wing.

Before you answer, allow me to confess we have clipped 5 birds so far and each is still flying over the fence!

Post pictures of wings you clipped.

I have not seen the consensus you reference, but many with the opinion that clipping does not work do not appear to be doing it correctly. Read thread I linked and it will give accurate account of how proper clipping can be done to.

I am one that believes clipping to deep is harmful to the bird!
I have 2 birds with a single clipped wing (about 1/2 inch off), I clipped these 2 girls for flying to high (20+ feet up). They no longer fly, they get on and off the roost fine. They also never crossed the fence but could have.
IF and when I have a bird go over my fence I look to see why! If I can fix that then the bird no longer goes over the fence.

OP if your fence has a top rail (this can be an issue), are they jumping to that or do the not touch the fence on the way over?

Creating a nice presentation does not make the info in it correct!

I don't feel clipping their wings is cruel. I had a problem initially. I clipped the primary feathers on both wings, the hens could still fly enough to get on the roost bar, or hop to gain access to something 3-4 feet off the ground, but if you watch them, it takes a lot of effort for them to do this. I do want them to be able to fly to some extent. Like to say escape a dog attack or something similar. I am surprised they are still going over a 6 ft fence. I would agree with some of the other post in that there is something over that fence they are working pretty hard to get at, or there is something on your side of that fence they are working really hard to get away from. Have you monitored for predators. I have found my trail cam to invaluable for monitoring my flock when mysterious things start happening. Also, are you sure you clipped the primary flight feathers short enough?

Last edited:
I have 2 birds with a single clipped wing (about 1/2 inch off), I clipped these 2 girls for flying to high (20+ feet up). They no longer fly, they get on and off the roost fine. They also never crossed the fence but could have.
IF and when I have a bird go over my fence I look to see why! If I can fix that then the bird no longer goes over the fence.

OP if your fence has a top rail (this can be an issue), are they jumping to that or do the not touch the fence on the way over?

Creating a nice presentation does not make the info in it correct!
Create a presentation demonstrating how your approach works. Typing the same very limited statement over and over again helps no one as you have nothing so far to back it up.

Why do you say that? The consensus on these boards is that it is cruel to the bird and also not so effective as one wing.

Before you answer, allow me to confess we have clipped 5 birds so far and each is still flying over the fence!
How can clipping a chicken's wing be cruel? I clip my nails and trim my hair, and there's about the same amount of nerve receptors.

I remember a specific instance of wing clipping. I clipped the primary sets from three particularly troublesome cockerels' wings so that they would stop coming into my layers' run. After I released the largest one, he did the "I am mighty, watch me flap my wings and crow!" thing, then looked very confused and tried again. His wings still didn't feel right. He gave a chicken shrug and kept on walking. Perhaps there was some deep, existential crisis happening, but I certainly didn't see it.

Also, from personal experience: Clipping two wings is more effective with a chicken. Clipping one wing is more effective with a parakeet. I think too many chicken owners got their information from the sites of people who own birds that can actually fly, rather than jump with flapping.

It would be helpful if you posted links to people on this forum who think that clipping a chickens' primary flight feathers is cruel.
I guess I replied too quickly. I read several posts which opined that clipping both wings instead of only one wing was cruel. No offense to anyone and thanks to all who answered!

Actually I have never seen them go over the fence— I find them after the fact when they are on the other side.

Today I found a single egg on the middle of my concrete parking pad. One of my birds jumped the fence to lay it there!

We have clipped the wings of 7 of 17 hens- banded them at the same time. One of them went over the fence again and we clipped them more. There have been no escape attempts in the last 24 hours!

Clipping wings will prevent a bird, chicken or otherwise, from flying. When I say flying I mean soaring through the air in control of height, speed, direction. When you clip a wing a bird is limited, think driving with a flat tire, your vehicle still goes some, but not much control and no good for distance. A bird with a clipped wing can still hop up and down a certain distance, flutter, land safely, etc., but will not be able to fly away.

Back
Top Bottom