Coop for special needs chicken - ADVICE PLEASE

You've set my concerns at ease. I was concerned you may be dealing unsuspectingly with an avian virus rather than a genetic deformity. In the case of an avian virus, it would have been crucial not to expose the younger chicks to her, mainly that they not "adopt" her and want to cuddle under her, thus being exposed to a huge amount of shed virus in her dander. Now I know this is not applicable here.

All systems are a GO, so you're getting some great tips from the others. Having accommodated many disabled chickens of my own over the years, I think it's great what you're trying to do for this little girl.

@NatJ is definitely on the right track advising a rectangular shelter and open area combo. I picture something more the size of what @Aunt Angus posted than the huge kennel you are contemplating. I've found that disabled chickens understand very well that they are vulnerable and cannot flee danger. Therefore, they appreciate a world brought down to a much smaller size that other chickens require, and this gives them the sense of security they crave. This is why I really like @NatJ s idea.

You've set my concerns at ease. I was concerned you may be dealing unsuspectingly with an avian virus rather than a genetic deformity. In the case of an avian virus, it would have been crucial not to expose the younger chicks to her, mainly that they not "adopt" her and want to cuddle under her, thus being exposed to a huge amount of shed virus in her dander. Now I know this is not applicable here.

All systems are a GO, so you're getting some great tips from the others. Having accommodated many disabled chickens of my own over the years, I think it's great what you're trying to do for this little girl.

@NatJ is definitely on the right track advising a rectangular shelter and open area combo. I picture something more the size of what @Aunt Angus posted than the huge kennel you are contemplating. I've found that disabled chickens understand very well that they are vulnerable and cannot flee danger. Therefore, they appreciate a world brought down to a much smaller size that other chickens require, and this gives them the sense of security they crave. This is why I really like @NatJ s idea.
I read over my previous post and realized I wasn't very clear. I was going to use the kennel to give the deformed pullet and her Silkie companion a defined space that's in the main chicken yard but would keep them safe/separated from the bigger chickens. However, I would still be building a coop at ground level inside the kernel. The kennel is 10 ft x 6 ft. I would make the coop around 2 ft x 4 ft.

I'm hoping I can incorporate Nat's plan that way? I just need a drawing to better visualize it.

I read over my previous post and realized I wasn't very clear. I was going to use the kennel to give the deformed pullet and her Silkie companion a defined space that's in the main chicken yard but would keep them safe/separated from the bigger chickens. However, I would still be building a coop at ground level inside the kernel. The kennel is 10 ft x 6 ft. I would make the coop around 2 ft x 4 ft.

I'm hoping I can incorporate Nat's plan that way? I just need a drawing to better visualize it.
Kinda like this, I think:
Souza_Rabbits_006-5_opt.jpeg

Thanks for the replies! Yes, the picture helps a lot and makes perfect sense! Would that be large enough for both the special needs pullet and the Silkie? I would think she would need a cuddle buddy, especially in winter?

Back
Top Bottom