Cream Legbars

My younger group of CL, the now 13 and 15week olds, were broody raised so they will not let me get close for the life of them. It is soooo difficult to photograph nervous chickens
hmm.png
This is all I could get for today

Here are a few pics of my roughly 15week old cockerel (pics aren't to clear)

Here are my TWO 13week old cockerels again pics aren't clear. One is dark one is light, the light one looks extremely similar to the 15week old cockerel

And here is my super friendly and super sweet little 10week old CL pullet. Her name is Hashbrown and in the pics you will see her half sister Oreo, they are inseparable. They were hatched from my eggs in my DDs classroom before the end of school. They were named by the kids in the classroom. They were the only 2 to hatch and we took them home, so glad we did because they are the best :)

Oh and Oreo is a Cream Legbar X Silver Spangled Apenzeller Spitzhauben.

I can't tell much about the boys, but I fell in love with your pullets! I also have a couple Legbar x Silver Spangled Hamburg... I was surprised they are so dark, but look at lot like your pullet does. (Hamburgs and your X look a lot alike.) Regarding your CL, love her legs, crest, and the she looks gray... most I have seen look brown, yet still has a nice salmon chest!!! Love her! One of my favorite. What are her lines?

Finally!

After 24 weeks of waiting, my CL pullet laid her first egg (thanks ChicKat):

You all know how it is. Depending on the light and how one tilts your head, you think it's blue, then you think it's green. Right now, I'm saying OAC 101 or 102. Of course, the real fight is the temptation to stick it in an incubator. This is my first CL pullet, and the beginning of my breeding program. Hopefully, her eggs will blue up and when she's been laying fopr awhile, I'll stick her and my CL cockerel together and see what kind of offspring they produce. Hopefully, it will be something I can start working with. Thanks again for all the help BYC in general and the good folks here in the CL thread have been.
Bravo!! way-to-go~

thumbsup.gif

yeah, I looked at OAC101, 102 - and they are on the green page....:O(
hide.gif
hopefully she will loose some of that brown bloom.......and as you say turn bluer, HOWEVER - green is acceptable in the SOP for the breed. (but I think all of us in the USA see blue as more desirable).

You have a really nice shape on that egg. That is a plus. Just looking in Gail Damerow's book 'Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens' and she does mention that smaller eggs will result in smaller and less vigorous chicks..therefore it is good to wait as long as you can IMO to set eggs. At a minimum until she has begun producing the full size she will reach.

Meanwhile! WOW - Congratulations.
yesss.gif
D.gif
clap.gif

seems like she is right on schedule. (although to you it probably seems like she waited for ever. !) YAY!

I can't tell much about the boys, but I fell in love with your pullets! I also have a couple Legbar x Silver Spangled Hamburg... I was surprised they are so dark, but look at lot like your pullet does. (Hamburgs and your X look a lot alike.) Regarding your CL, love her legs, crest, and the she looks gray... most I have seen look brown, yet still has a nice salmon chest!!! Love her! One of my favorite. What are her lines?
Because she was hatched in the classroom and I didn't see the exact egg she hatched from I cant be 100% certain but I am 99% sure she is from my Rees line.

Popping in to say when the CL are double for cream it really knocks back the brown/gold tones, regardless of specific breeding lines.
The gray is in keeping with the SOP.

Because she was hatched in the classroom and I didn't see the exact egg she hatched from I cant be 100% certain but I am 99% sure she is from my Rees line.
Well she is a pretty little thing. Do you know anything about the genetics that mixing the Spangled with the legbar produces such a dark result. That surprised me!

Well she is a pretty little thing. Do you know anything about the genetics that mixing the Spangled with the legbar produces such a dark result. That surprised me!
I am not certain. It surprised me as well. I will post her on the CL hybrid thread and see if others want to weigh in.

I am sure enjoying everyone's pictures! CP I hope you stick with the CLB for a bit longer. I really like your birds. I know how hard it can be to make space though. I live on land with no neighbors and it is still a problem. I am trying to do three different breeds (including the CL) and I don't think I will ever have enough space. I casually mentioned to my husband about needing another small coop for all the boys and the look on his face was priceless...

I have had my struggles getting going with my Legbars and was feeling pretty disheartened about the whole enterprise but I then I decided to just make do with what I have for the time being. My birds are not great and the two pullets I managed to hatch earlier were pretty disappointing. However, I set 10 eggs under my best broody and all 10 hatched and I ended up with 8 pullets and 2 cockerels. Finally the percentages are on my side!

I scooped up all the girls and brought them inside and left the two boys with mama. She has turned out to be the absolute best broody, I am so thankful I have her. Here are the little boys:

And the girls:

Back
Top Bottom