Debate on food, free range and egg quality...

How will he know not to eat it?
Instinct, I suppose.
Like they know that an insect buzzing by is food, or to scratch for tasty morsels.
It is not tasty, so why eat it.
Maybe it does taste greater to hens, I don't know. A lot of things are just hardwired into brains or a result of the chemical balance of the body (like chocolate cravings for women, it is often a need for more potassium, I recall, of which chocolate is sadly not a complete source)

Last edited:
Instinct, I suppose.
Like they know that an insect buzzing by is food, or to scratch for tasty morsels.
Maybe it does taste greater to hens, I don't know. A lot of things are just hardwired into brains or a result of the chemical balance of the body (like chocolate cravings for women, it is often a need for more potassium, I regal, of which chocolate is sadly not a complete source)
Chocolate is not a complete source⁉️
I’m for sure going to die. I totally eat it like an important food group!

Instinct, I suppose.
Maybe it does taste greater to hens, I don't know. A lot of things are just hardwired into brains or a result of the chemical balance of the body (like chocolate cravings for women, it is often a need for more potassium, I regal, of which chocolate is sadly not a complete source)
Ok thank you!

It cuts the other way too. I could just as easily say it rules out egg size/weight as a possible benefit of keeping the birds cooped with a large feed supply, as the eggs don't come out any heavier with commercial feed than with free forage. It depends on how a person wants to spin it.

I can definitely taste the difference between my free range eggs and cooped eggs and see a difference in yolk coloration. Does that mean free range eggs are more nutritious? I don't know.
I can't reliably tell the difference between free range and fresh cage eggs by taste. The majority of free range eggs I've eaten have had more yellow yolks.
What I was surprised to find was that I could tell the difference between a fresh egg and a not so fresh egg.

What I could easily tell was the difference in taste of the chicken itself between those I've cared for and eaten and those bought at a supermarket, or even most butchers. To look at the difference is quite obvious just by carcass size.

Back
Top Bottom