Pics
There are 8 now, and more peeping in the incubator. The two small dark gray, kind of still wet are paint, the rest Tinks and such a lively group. :wee

They were still wet, in the incubator, doing chest bumps and fighting.

View attachment 3770648

I'm going to ER tonite if this isn't better.
Congrats on all the babies Debbie! :woot

Make sure you are drinking enough fluids, dehydration while being sick can lead to pneumonia. Feel better soon!! ❤ :hugs

You know you have to share pictures or it never happened!
Okay!

Here's two that are pipped/zipping and pretty hard to see that large black chick that ran out of its shell as it's up in the corner.

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpeg
    IMG_0719.jpeg
    514.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    427.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0722.jpeg
    IMG_0722.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 6
Debbie, so happy you are starting to feel better!!! The picture of the silkie babies is so gorgeous. I love the silvery white one in the front. I will be very interested to see the (supposed) mottled.

In my recent hatch I had 3 eggs hatch that were labeled mottled (one is solid black, 2 are possibly mottled!) and then I had 6 other chicks hatch, 3 from paint pens and 3 from Mille fleur project pens. Of those 6 chicks I believe 2 are solid black and 4 are mottled. So I have 9 black/mottled chicks out of the hatch and I was expecting some paints and mille haha. Im excited though because I want to see how the mottleds grow out. I read one thing (and I don’t know if it’s true because I haven’t seen it anywhere else) which said that mottled splits can look the same as mottled at hatch but then turn into full solid as adults. So I am interested to see what happens. I never expected to get so many mottled babies, but I am happy with it. I can’t wait to see your babies @Debbie292d

Debbie, so happy you are starting to feel better!!! The picture of the silkie babies is so gorgeous. I love the silvery white one in the front. I will be very interested to see the (supposed) mottled.

In my recent hatch I had 3 eggs hatch that were labeled mottled (one is solid black, 2 are possibly mottled!) and then I had 6 other chicks hatch, 3 from paint pens and 3 from Mille fleur project pens. Of those 6 chicks I believe 2 are solid black and 4 are mottled. So I have 9 black/mottled chicks out of the hatch and I was expecting some paints and mille haha. Im excited though because I want to see how the mottleds grow out. I read one thing (and I don’t know if it’s true because I haven’t seen it anywhere else) which said that mottled splits can look the same as mottled at hatch but then turn into full solid as adults. So I am interested to see what happens. I never expected to get so many mottled babies, but I am happy with it. I can’t wait to see your babies @Debbie292d
One thought, and I'm a newbie so could be WAY wrong... but I've read that silver based blacks can hatch with light underbellies. The silver based blacks are used in breeding paints so you don't have colored leakage on them. I know nothing about mottled, but when you said black from paint eggs I thought of that.

I have some mottled cochins. They didn't really start to show their "spots" until after their first molt. Prior to that, they were black with just a few white feathers here and there. Now they are gorgeous.

One thought, and I'm a newbie so could be WAY wrong... but I've read that silver based blacks can hatch with light underbellies. The silver based blacks are used in breeding paints so you don't have colored leakage on them. I know nothing about mottled, but when you said black from paint eggs I thought of that.
Yes that is a great point! I hadn’t heard that the white belly and wingtips are linked to silver, but I should try and find out!! I always called those “penguin chicks” lol! But yes as in many other breeds (marans and ameraucanas just to name a couple) the solid colored blues and blacks always have the penguin chick look. I know it can pop up in silkies that way too! And I have actually heard that the chicks born like that who then feather out black will have the gorgeous green sheen (and I had a silkie roo years ago that did!!)

With my chicks, I think some of them will feather out all black, even some with the light belly and wingtips. The only reason I am thinking some might be mottled is the presence of a little bit of light patchy down on their heads! I think 6 out of my 9 chicks have that, but on some of them it is very subtle! I will include pictures to show what I’m talking about. This chick with a vaulted head I would definitely think was going to be black, except that it has some light feathers on the vaulted part of the head! And this chick was out of the paint pens.
IMG_7653.jpeg

Then there is another out of the paint pens that looks like it will be all black but has a small white dot next to the beak. This one I wouldn’t consider mottled unless it shows mottling after feathering out.
IMG_7658.jpeg

Then some of them have the white going all the way up the neck, like the pictured NN (who is very very fuzzy on the front of the neck!) but he only has two very faint white spots on the head so I don’t know if he could be mottled, I’m thinking no.
IMG_7704.jpeg

The last chick is one of the more subtle looking mottled (out of Mille fleur pen) And I may be totally and completely wrong because I really have no idea about mottling!
IMG_7683.jpeg

There just aren’t many pictures of baby mottled silkies to compare them to, and I have no clue! I might end up with 9 all black silkies lol. Will have to see what happens. Sorry Debbie for going on about this. Maybe it can help you try to ID your chicks color though!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom