Do chickens deter deer?

wqcustom

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 12, 2010
I live out in the country and I've had several deer over the yrs in my yard every year. Especially during winter when they eat all my foundation plants. Over the years, deer are in my yard nearly every day and night. This is the first season I've had chickens, and I haven't seen a single deer in my yard since. Day or night. I've had the chickens since June. I've heard hunters say that they don't hunt in cow pastures as deer tend to stay away from those areas, but with so many deer in the past and none this year, i'm wondering if it's the existance of t he chickens? i have 10 and they free range. Thanks in advance.

Very interesting idea, not sure what the answer is. I am sure the chickens will be happy to eat your plants if the deer stay away.

Last edited:
Even though it's been a tough winter, I couldn't help but think that perhaps your chickens have attracted predators near your property...predators that also prey on deer.

Quote:
amen...several times I have said not such nice things as a bovine got between me and dinner...ironic ain't it...

We have chickens and a dog and still have deer in our yard and even more deer in our yard since we have a dog. Our dog chases off any preditor but tollerates deer. I don't know the weather conditions in your area but last year we had a drought and all the deer and other critters migrated down by the river and we didn't have much in our yard.

My guineas stalk the deer when they come into the hayfield
big_smile.png
and my dogs run them off but they still come back

My chickens run home when they see a deer
lau.gif

hehe funny we've had chickens for almost 5 years and deer are actually

starting to come into our yard now
hmm.png
because of the corn maybe? i don't know.

I dont think they would affect the deer coming into your yard though.

do you or your neighbors have any dogs?
hmm.png
just a thought...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom