Do chickens deter deer?

I have watched my golden comets scare and chase off several deer. My chickens weren't being aggressive. They were just walking back to their coop.

We always had deer in our yard. We put in the coop and run last summer as well as building a gazebo. No deer this year. They are all over the area. Our creeks did dry up early this fall and there is water across the road so maybe all the changes plus lack of water is the reason. Just this last week after heavy snow and ice we did find some tracks crossing our yard at night going from one area of woods to the other. We will have to see in the spring when the fawns are out looking for the clover in our yard.

We have chickens and a dog and still have deer in our yard and even more deer in our yard since we have a dog. Our dog chases off any preditor but tollerates deer. I don't know the weather conditions in your area but last year we had a drought and all the deer and other critters migrated down by the river and we didn't have much in our yard.
We have 3 border collies and average 8-12 deer a day. No conflicts.

I'm not sure but I don't think so. I love it as the information is as pertinent today as it was 10 years ago when this thread was started. I have only seen a couple of deer cross our road, once. I'm retired but when I was working, I worked the graveyard shift and I saw the deer when coming home from work one morning. It wasn't far from our property.

Going to find out this year about chickens and the local deer, but I suspected or affect them little. As far as cows and the pasture are concerned, there's a pasture 150 ft from my front door. I've shot a few deer right there. The deer don't hang out with the cattle ever, but they don't mind going into the pasture at all.

Back
Top Bottom