Do chickens eat deer ticks?

CritterHill

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 3, 2008
SE PA
I am looking for something that will eat deer ticks. They are the tiny, tiny ones that carry lyme.

My daughter was just diagnosed with lyme and I pull those tiny nymph deer ticks off her constantly. Wondering if free ranging my chickens periodically will help?

Will guinea hens eat them?

They are so small, I can't imagine any bird bothering to eat them!

GUINEAS!

They love, love, love ticks. We went from pulling 20 ticks a day off our dogs if we let them run the full acerage to maybe one or two a week.

Quote:
Do you think they could eat deer ticks though? They are so TINY! You can hardly see them.

I'm wondering if spraying is my only option
hmm.png
I don't want to do that...

In the years since I started keeping guineas I hardly ever have to pull ticks off my dogs and cats. I got some guineas for my son and DIL for their new place because they were over-run with ticks. 2 months later, they hardly are finding any ticks on their dogs anymore.

Hi I am new to this forum. So is the consensus that chickens do not eat deer ticks, but guinea hens do? I have heard that guineafowl are very effective for deer ticks, but have also heard they can be very loud. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Chickens will eat any bug they come across. I've heard that chickens are better for tick suppression since they will hang out in your yard. Guineas might wander away.

Quote:
Oh yeah, from the time these birds are chicks on up through, they love anything that moves and they can swallow! If they cant swallow it, they will find a way to get it down! lol....We have only had 2 ticks this year, last year the neighbors dog was taken from Lyme's disease and our Vet took a deer tick off our cat. So, yes, they most definately help in our area! Good luck to you!

I pulled a tick off of my oldest daughter every night for a week straight until I started letting the chickens out for a few hours each day. I haven't seen a tick in my yard or on my kids since.

Back
Top Bottom