Falling Down Heights, my daily life

Pics
When I checked on little Tiger last night, I noticed something odd. First off, he lost a LOT of fluff in the incubator. He was super hairy at birth.

Second, he has feathered legs! Not many, just a small row, but still! I wonder if he'll keep them? I moved him to the brooder this morning, so will get pics later once he's acclimated.

btw, I use a generic 'he' when referring to my babies. Don't know why, just my preference.

Batch 2 of the Power Outage eggs are in the Maticoopx, and hopefully hatch in a week. Of course, that's if they're duck eggs. If Muscovy, it'll take longer. I tried to keep the flock separate at night, but the coop doors are open during the day (they share a yard).

My best 'scovy hen started to sit!

AND, I lost my Magpie drake... *SIGH* I have absolutely NO LUCK when it comes to the Magpie!

And, it seems the two Blues were not just bonded to each other (or rather, didn't mind getting it on with the ladies). Tiger is definitely NOT Magpie patterned. Trooper appears to be, but is more of a fawn colour (which is a possibility if my Buff is the mother, since she's light).

Also, the Chantecler eggs have been placed in the MeeF. There's still room so I might sneak in a few more...

OH, and Trooper scared to 💩 out of me this morning! Was looking for him in the brooder and couldn't see him! Lifted up the plate and he wasn't under it. Started freaking out that he'd managed to escape and maybe a cat got him, but no. He was on TOP of the plate, under the tea towel I'd placed there, happily sleeping away!

20240423_100752.jpg

20240423_100816.jpg

Ignore the orange colour on my thumb, I was peeling a squash, lol!

I also noticed that the other duckling also has some feathers on his legs. Interesting.

Wondering what colour these little guys will end up!

View attachment 3809549
View attachment 3809551

I also noticed that the other duckling also has some feathers on his legs. Interesting.

He kinda looks like one of mine. The spots and eye stripes are from the Silver Appleyard female and the chocolate color I believe is from the buff male...but that's mine. I'm pretty excited to see what my babies end up growing up to look like, will be interesting to follow yours, too!

He kinda looks like one of mine. The spots and eye stripes are from the Silver Appleyard female and the chocolate color I believe is from the buff male...but that's mine. I'm pretty excited to see what my babies end up growing up to look like, will be interesting to follow yours, too!
At this point, only thing for certain I can say is that the father is NOT the Magpie! Of the other two possibilities, both were blues but not solid blue. This was them last Fall:

20230917_191631.jpg

The one on the left looked more blue mallard, the one on the right had a more solid blue body (apart fro the chest). And pretty sure the one on the right had a pure Kakhi Campbell as a mother. Their father was solid blue.

View attachment 3809549
View attachment 3809551

My jumbo had feathers on her legs as a baby. They never got bigger than the little down bits as she ballooned in size

Back
Top Bottom