Farm chatter

Thanks for the tag!

What breed? And pics?

Pics? I've always thought peafowl were beautiful, but I've got my hands full with chickens... so not looking to get them anytime soon. Maybe one day though...
I have no idea what breed the sheep are. I have pics but they're currently on my mom's phone, not my computer.
Ditto with the peafowl. I have pics, but not here. They're stunning!! I'd love to add them to my list of 'animals to have once I get a farm' but I'm a little bit unsure because I'm not sure how much space they need, male to female ratio, etc.

Nope, no horses. I love to ride, but where I am, you can either pay a heck ton of money and ride to compete in high end shows and reach a high, professional level, or you can just not ride. I ride in the summer at my camp, though. At the farm, they have chickens, peacocks, and sheep.
That's too bad. Similar to here though too. There's a lot of cowboys and all, but they don't use horses much anymore. Peas are awesome. I've always wanted some.

I guess I would call my home a homestead-in-progress. We have 25 acres for two people, one dog, and four chickens. We got "pandemic chickens," like thousands of other people, but it was always a plan to get them when I retired. Covid retired me, so now I have chickens. :)

I'm big into gardening, and am loving the poop! I had the best compost ever this year. Even I thought it looked tasty. (No, not really.) We had the best potato, onion and tomato harvest, though the 'maters still were not enough for canning. I have lots of plans already for next year.

My chickens are not lap chickens, and I wish I had handled them more as chicks. I thought hand feeding them would be enough, but maybe not for Black Australorps. They will eat treats from my hand, will get on my lap for treats, but are not cuddlers. So no petting, no cuddles.

Pet Coco for me, if you think of it, please? She is beautiful.

I guess I would call my home a homestead-in-progress. We have 25 acres for two people, one dog, and four chickens.
25 acres sounds AMAZING!!!! So much space, all to yourself! What breed of dog?
We got "pandemic chickens," like thousands of other people, but it was always a plan to get them when I retired. Covid retired me, so now I have chickens. :)
Our chickens are pandemic chickens as well. Probably the only thing good to come out of this pandemic!
I'm big into gardening, and am loving the poop! I had the best compost ever this year. Even I thought it looked tasty. (No, not really.)
I"m more into potted plants than gardening, but I'm sure I'd definitely get into it given the opportunity. I've been given a bit of land in our yard that I'm allowed to use, but it's FULL of weeds that have really deep roots. To get one little bit cleared, it takes me a long time, so I'm going slowly on that. We're planning on a raised bed to help keep the dirt nice. The chicken poop is great for our compost as well! When we moved the tiny old coop from the rental, the dirt that was in the run was SUPER good- my mom moved it all to the vegetable garden.
We had the best potato, onion and tomato harvest, though the 'maters still were not enough for canning. I have lots of plans already for next year.
That's so fun! The deer have done a number on all our veggies this year. I'm inclined toward flowers and berries than I am to veggies, but it sounds so satisfying to grow some of your own food!!
My chickens are not lap chickens, and I wish I had handled them more as chicks. I thought hand feeding them would be enough, but maybe not for Black Australorps. They will eat treats from my hand, will get on my lap for treats, but are not cuddlers. So no petting, no cuddles.
Mine aren't either, because we rented them as adults. (parents wanted an easy out if we didn't do well with them) and then bought them. Two of them are easier to grab, and the other two are very flighty.
My friend has a BA, and she HATES to be held. Might be a bit of a breed thing as well. If I get chicks (and I hope I get to soon!) I don't think I'll be able to keep from holding them ALL the time. I'm also pretty sure we're going to go into remote learning again in the spring, and I bet that baby chicks will be a huge hit on zoom classes :p
Pet Coco for me, if you think of it, please? She is beautiful.
I will. I agree, she is gorgeous.

What breed of dog?
Mara is half lab, half bull terrier. We adopted her two years ago, after our second Doberman died of heart failure. (Love Dobes. They are wonderful dogs.) Mara was at a shelter, 8 years old, and it was love at first sight. We weren't looking for another dog so soon, but my husband kept seeing her on facebook postings. When we got to the shelter, which also does doggie daycare, we found out she had been there for a year, and that her people had dropped her off and MOVED away! I've since learned that this happens more often than you would think. :mad:

I have some suggestions for your deep rooted weeds, but it can wait for another time. Good luck with your homework.

I’ve always wanted peafowl too, but parent don’t want them. They’re “too loud” even though we have a bunch of roosters. What’s your dream animals to have on a farm?
The ones at the farm are really quiet, but maybe I haven't been there long enough. It does seem like roosters would be louder, though. Fantasy farm first, then realistic farm. Fantasy farm:
basically everything.
Livestock:
Chickens, of course! Seperated into a main coop, bachelor pad, bantam coop, and breeding coop/breeding pens. I'd love to breed cochins, focusing on blue, black, and splash, and maybe lavender.
Ducks-not that many. Probably runners and pekins, nothing fancy.
Pigeons-in an aviary. No racing pigeons because that is STRESSFUL!
Quail-in said aviary with pigeons. Quail are ADORABLE
peacocks- lower priority than everything else, but I'd LOVE to have a few. Only a couple.
sheep-they are FLOOF, and I can spin their floof into yarn, which I can then crochet with.
goats-they're GOATS. no more explanation needed.
horses- realistically I probably couldn't care for one on my own, but I can't help dreaming!! I'd love a black horse, or one of those pretty ones- I think that they're called paints?
Pets:
1 dog to serve as livestock guardian dog. no idea on breed, or what breeds are good.
1 dog to be pet doggo. I love bernese mountain dogs, labs, and golden retrievers.
cat. Maine coon cats are AMAZING, but I'd probably end up with a shelter cat.
fish- large fish tanks with lots of fishes.
rabbit. no explanation, i'd just like a rabbit.
Basically i just want to surround myself with animals of every variety.
Realistic:
Chickens-probably a smaller coop than I'd like, maybe with a bachelor pad. Probably no separate bantam coop.
pigeons: smaller aviary than I'd like, and probably fewer birds.
quail: see above ^
sheep or goats: probably only 3. Don't think I could handle both, just one or the other.

dog- same as fantasy, but instead of an LGS I'd probably just have a dog that's trained not to eat my animals.
cat: same as fantasy.
fish: probably a betta fish tank (10 gallons) and a tank with neon tetras (probably 20 gallons). probably nothing else, and no larger tanks.
rabbit: maybe. Probably not.

I have rabbits, quail, a guinea, chickens (obviously, lol), ferrets, hamsters, ducks, geese, a puppy (yellow lab), a parakeet (house bird), and my sister has a goat. Lol!
But I still have "pet math" pretty bad. I adore all of my pets, but I always learn about new and exciting ones. 😂

Back
Top Bottom